Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Default Replacing original aluminum windows

Texas Yankee wrote:
I'm not interested in salvaging the old windows - I'm still having a hard
time understanding what happens to the nailing strips - the "fins" that are
part of the aluminum window frame that get nailed to the wooden window
framing before the siding or brick is placed as veneer - if I collapse the
existing frames, do the nailing strips just teat our with little or no
damage to the wood surrounding the window? Thanks!
"Eric in North TX" wrote in message
oups.com...
Texas Yankee wrote:
Thanks for the info - I don't understand something you said - "used a
wonder-bar to fold the frame" - when you're collapsing the frame without
cutting the nailing strips, what happens to the nailing strips - is there
any damage to the surrounding frame, where the nailing strips are
attached?

Usually a window frame is made from 2 X 4s when the house is built,
that would be the "nailing strips". Surprizingly little usually holds
the windows in place, once the inside trim is removed. Little damage is
done usually, but is you sazall them out you might be able to sell them
for use in a workshop or something and recoup some of your cost. I
didn't mention it before but the removal is an inside job, remove the
trim and there should be about a 1/2" gap around the windows with a few
shims used to square things up when they were installed.

The answer is yes. Any damage will be covered up
when the new window is in.