Junior Member

Default Need a thermal switch

Hi,

I've got a project in mind but I'm having problems finding the right equipment for it. I need a thermal switch or thermostat, whichever. I'd like to set up a set of water misters to run when the outside temperature gets to between 90 and 95 degrees. The spray system would need some kind of thermal switch or thermostat that was either weather proof or having a long coil of tubing to the sensing bulb that would allow the main switch unit to be out of the weather. The switch would then run a solenoid valve, probably something like the 24vac automatic sprinkler valves after applying electricity to a 120vac to 24vac step-down transformer.

The application for this is to provide a precooled air source to my air conditioner's compressor-condenser coil. Since we're in a hard water area I was figuring I'd need to provide some kind of conditioned water for this system to prevent the scaling up of the coil. I've seen some in-line chemical anti-liming filters for water misters and evaporative coolers in Lowe's but I was wondering if the added chemical(s) that these would provide wouldn't just add to the problem. The chemical is supposed to keep the calcium in suspension for evaporative a/c coolers as well as these water misters but, in my mind, the chemicals have to be deposited somewhere even if the mist is fully evaporated by the time it passes through the coils. Would I probably have to install a small r.o. unit for this? They don't make much water (10gpd usually) but the misters don't run all the time and don't use much water when they do.

All of this does cost a little but the electrical load reduction on temperatures from 95 to 105 degrees could be reduced by 23% and sometimes more from what I read.

This is just a crazy idea I had one sleepless night while listening to the outside compressor run ad nauseum trying in vain to catch up and not making much headway. The idea has been patented recently, darn it, by a person in Plano, TX but I don't have his/her address to see if they marketed any kind of kit for this. Also the concept has been around for as long as there have been refrigeration units judging from the patents referenced in this latest one.

Thanks for anyone's help.
Dana
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Look for a greenhouse supply catalog. They have both mister systems and
enclosed and remote bulb line voltage thermostats, used for controlling fans

news

--
DanaK

Posted to alt.home.repair

DanaK wrote:

I'd like to set up a set of water misters to run when the outside
temperature gets to between 90 and 95 degrees...

How about running them when the AC fan runs?

The switch would then run a solenoid valve, probably something like
the 24vac automatic sprinkler valves after applying electricity to
a 120vac to 24vac step-down transformer.

How about 2 120V solenoid valves from a dead washing machine in series?

The application for this is to provide a precooled air source to my air
conditioner's compressor-condenser coil. Since we're in a hard water
area I was figuring I'd need to provide some kind of conditioned water
for this system to prevent the scaling up of the coil...

That won't help, if the water touches the coil. I save 20% by trickling
rainwater from some tubing with holes over the coil of a window AC.
The water runs down into a plastic drum containing a $10 10 watt
Harbor Freight submersible fountain pump.

All of this does cost a little but the electrical load reduction on
temperatures from 95 to 105 degrees could be reduced by 23% and
sometimes more from what I read.

This works best with low outdoor humidity, although Yogi Gaswami saved
about 20% in central Florida by building an evaporative cooler around
an outdoor coil with standard commercial greenhouse parts.

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair
HeatMan

"DanaK" wrote in message
news

Hi,

I've got a project in mind but I'm having problems finding the right
equipment for it. I need a thermal switch or thermostat, whichever.
I'd like to set up a set of water misters to run when the outside
temperature gets to between 90 and 95 degrees. The spray system would
need some kind of thermal switch or thermostat that was either weather
proof or having a long coil of tubing to the sensing bulb that would
allow the main switch unit to be out of the weather. The switch would
then run a solenoid valve, probably something like the 24vac automatic
sprinkler valves after applying electricity to a 120vac to 24vac
step-down transformer.

You're asking for trouble.

[...]

Even without the hard water, there is a good chance that you will lime up
that condenser with in a season or two. Then, you'll have to buy a new
condenser coil and that can be nearly as much as a condensing unit.

All of this does cost a little but the electrical load reduction on
temperatures from 95 to 105 degrees could be reduced by 23% and
sometimes more from what I read.

This is just a crazy idea I had one sleepless night while listening to
the outside compressor run ad nauseum trying in vain to catch up and
not making much headway. The idea has been patented recently, darn it,
by a person in Plano, TX but I don't have his/her address to see if they
marketed any kind of kit for this. Also the concept has been around for
as long as there have been refrigeration units judging from the patents
referenced in this latest one.

There is a place on-line that sells these kits fairly cheaply and they even
mention the need to de-lime the condenser coils regularly.

The best way, IMHO, is to insulate your house and put your straight cool
condensing unit on the north or east side of the house. Keep shrubs,
bushes, and any kind of overhang 36 inches from the sides and 6 to 8 feet
from the top. Pull the curtains on the south and west side of the house to
try to defeat the sunlight from heating up the house any more than it has
to. Get the unit serviced professionally to make sure it's in tip-top
operating efficiency.