Posted to alt.home.repair
Ray

Default Repointing? ? ?

Our six-unit coop apartment building (brick and mortar) is 82 years old.
Recently some of the inside walls have begun to show water damage, which
indicates moisture coming in from the outside.

Someone told me this indicates we might need to have the building
"repointed." I've never been clear on what this means and what it involves,
but I would guess that it's expensive.

I have also been told that silicone paint might be a less expensive
alternative to repointing.

Any guidance or experience appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty

In article McZmg.2389$Wl.882@trnddc01, Ray says...

Our six-unit coop apartment building (brick and mortar) is 82 years old.
Recently some of the inside walls have begun to show water damage, which
indicates moisture coming in from the outside.

Someone told me this indicates we might need to have the building
"repointed." I've never been clear on what this means and what it involves,
but I would guess that it's expensive.

I have also been told that silicone paint might be a less expensive
alternative to repointing.

Any guidance or experience appreciated.

Is it a block foundation? I've heard "repointing" as meaning sawing out cracks
and opened seams and re-setting the masonry.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ray wrote:
Our six-unit coop apartment building (brick and mortar) is 82 years old.
Recently some of the inside walls have begun to show water damage, which
indicates moisture coming in from the outside.

Someone told me this indicates we might need to have the building
"repointed." I've never been clear on what this means and what it involves,
but I would guess that it's expensive.

I have also been told that silicone paint might be a less expensive
alternative to repointing.

Any guidance or experience appreciated.r

Go to the BIA (Brick Industry Association) web site.
The Tech Notes section is very helpful.

I would suggest you look for a forensic architect or engineer.
They could go over the building and give a clear statement of existing
conditions and possible fixes.
If needed, they could rank work in order of importance and time frame.
These services are not cheap, but if done by a competent firm can be
very well worth the cost.
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

--

Yes, repointing is the process of removing and replacing the mortar between
bricks.

There are different methods for removal and different recipies for mixing
the replacement mortar. Depending on the nature of the damage one way or
another might be better. Its best to have a mason look at it. Water might
be getting in a more common way like bad roof, chimney or window flashing or
just an overflowing bent gutter spilling on a bad spot. Waterproof
"elastomeric" paint will stop water intrusion along the face of the brick
but that may not be the penetration point and do you really want to paint
your brick. There may be a clear penetrating sealer or a clear acrylic
surface sealer you can use to retain the brick look.

Come to think of it, a standard building inspection of the type you get when
buying a home sounds like it would be a better value as you are unsure of
the source of the problem yet you are investigating solutions. Better to
spend a couple hunderd finding out all that is wrong than spending $2000 to
fix what aint broke.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Ray" wrote in message

I have also been told that silicone paint might be a less expensive
alternative to repointing.

It may get you through a season or two of water seeping through, but it does
nothing for the structural damage that may exist. Repointing is a fairly
common form of maintenance on a brick building.

Not sure? Take a good look at the mortar joints. If you see some missing
pieces here and there, it is time to do something.

Posted to alt.home.repair

NEVER EVER PAINT BRICK!!

Paint will peel constantly and you will HAVE to repaint every few
years

Chasing out mortar for repointing Paul Andrews UK diy 6 February 7th 06 11:01 PM
repointing brickwork therebel UK diy 1 January 16th 06 12:32 AM
patio repointing: newbie tips [email protected] UK diy 1 June 22nd 05 10:14 PM
Mortar and repointing Steve Jones UK diy 5 October 2nd 04 05:47 PM
Repointing a chimney Gordon Parks Home Repair 2 August 15th 04 01:56 PM