Gordon Parks

Default Repointing a chimney

I was cleaning the gutters out today and I noticed that there are a lot of loose mortar joints on my chimney. I have done masonry work before, but never any repointing. Is this something I should leave to a professional? The only tools I have for doing masonry work are a couple of trowels. Will I be able to save any money on this if I have to buy the right tools?
Roger

"Gordon Parks" wrote in message news:hPATc.312448$XM6.300777@attbi_s53...
I was cleaning the gutters out today and I noticed that there are a lot of loose mortar joints on my chimney. I have done masonry work before, but never any repointing. Is this something I should leave to a professional? The only tools I have for doing masonry work are a couple of trowels. Will I be able to save any money on this if I have to buy the right tools?

There are many repointing how-to's online, via Google. One is at:
http://www.oldhousestore.co.uk/fs_re...ml/4KLRVYD-PMJ
Being british, there are some different terms for ones we use, but it is well written.
For a tiny fraction of the price of having it done, you can buy all the tools you need, which are few indeed, and learn a new skill. Need a hawk (square plate with handle), hammer and small chisels, a spray bottle, and a shaping tool (to drag along the joint and compress the patching mortar. Besides what you have, you just need a wheelbarrow to mix the mortar in. There are masonry D.I.Y. books at Home Depot that also have some info on repointing, and all the tools you need are in the concrete finishing section of Home Depot....
Tom Baker

--

There is a lot of useful information at:
BIA ( Brick Industry Association ) web site.

TB