Posted to alt.home.repair
ianjones

Default Adding Utility Sink

My home is raised an entire story off the ground with the garage
underneath. I would like to add a utility sink in the work area and I
think I have found a suitable location. I recently moved my water
heater and put in new PEX pipe coming out of the ceiling and into the
WH. Close by there is what I think is my main drain going to the sewer
- it is a 4"+ pipe (labeled not suitable for pressure) that has 2 main
pipes coming into it from the ceiling. Can I run a cold and hot line
off the inputs to my WH and just tap into that drain for the sink? If
so, what are best practices for going from a standard drain to a larger
drain pipe?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"ianjones" wrote in message
oups.com...
.

.. Can I run a cold and hot line
off the inputs to my WH and just tap into that drain for the sink?

No, yes.

If you tap into the inputs, you only get cold water. Tap the input for
cold, the output for hot. (yes, I know you meant that)

Yes, you can tap into that pipe for the drain.

If
so, what are best practices for going from a standard drain to a larger
drain pipe?

There are usually adapters that will go onto the drain pipe as a saddle. You
use a hole saw to make the hole in the side, strap on the saddle, attach the
drain and trap as normal.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev

Yeah, I caught that slip on "input", too. I would just add be sure to
give good physical support to the thing- some of them come with
downright flimsy(the cheapos) to only so-so legs. I put mine in last
year, and was having visions of my kids climbing all over the thing and
flooding the basement- built a brace for it and mounted to studs They
could climb on it now, for all I care. Even w/o kids, sink full of
water is heavy, and over time those legs may splay, etc. Could at
least brace together legs at bottom.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 22 Jun 2006 18:53:00 -0700, "ianjones" wrote:

My home is raised an entire story off the ground with the garage
underneath. I would like to add a utility sink in the work area and I
think I have found a suitable location. I recently moved my water
heater and put in new PEX pipe coming out of the ceiling and into the
WH. Close by there is what I think is my main drain going to the sewer
- it is a 4"+ pipe (labeled not suitable for pressure) that has 2 main
pipes coming into it from the ceiling. Can I run a cold and hot line
off the inputs to my WH and just tap into that drain for the sink? If
so, what are best practices for going from a standard drain to a larger
drain pipe?

Thanks in advance.

Don't know, but I do know that if your lot floods to the level of your
toilet, the doors won't keep the water out, because the water will go
down the drain of the utility sink and up the main drain to every
fixture you have.

Yes, I know the doors probably wouldn't keep the water out anyhow, and
the drains will be filled by the flooding somewhere nearby anyhow, but
I wanted to point out this additional point.

Although a plug in the drain might stop this.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

"ianjones" wrote in message
oups.com...
My home is raised an entire story off the ground with the garage
underneath. I would like to add a utility sink in the work area and I
think I have found a suitable location. I recently moved my water
heater and put in new PEX pipe coming out of the ceiling and into the
WH. Close by there is what I think is my main drain going to the sewer
- it is a 4"+ pipe (labeled not suitable for pressure) that has 2 main
pipes coming into it from the ceiling. Can I run a cold and hot line
off the inputs to my WH and just tap into that drain for the sink? If
so, what are best practices for going from a standard drain to a larger
drain pipe?

Thanks in advance.

Also consider using a kitchen faucet w/sprayer for your sink. You will have
to drill new holes to mount it but the sprayer is ever so handy for some
cleanup jobs.

Colbyt