Posted to alt.home.repair
NSN

Default Resurfacing Pool Deck Area

I have been browsing this group daily for at least 10 years and you
guys have helped me out many times in the past. Thanks!

My latest problem: The back deck surrounding my pool needs to be
resurfaced. It is composed of concrete slabs 4.5" in thickness. The
total surface area is about 4000 sq. ft. One of the slabs is cracked
so badly that there is about a 3 degree "bend" at the crack site with
the crack being 3/8" wide. The rest of the slabs are badly discolored
with many fine cracks. ( When I had the home built I had requested
rebar but the contractor talked me out of it.)

I plan to have the entire deck power washed and the cracked areas
ground down and leveled out as much as possible. Then the cracks will
be filled with some sort of epoxy (probably will not accomplish much
as far as strength is concerned). The deck is 18 years old and should
be fairly stable but I am in Southern California (Palm Springs area)
and we do get frequent quakes, some quite significant.

The temperature can get to 125 F during July and August (in the
shade!). I wish to have the entire deck resurfaced with some sort of
compound to a maximum thickness of 1/4", non-textured, in a light
beige color. Removal and replacement of the slabs is not an option.

My question: What is the best material to use for this project. There
are several contractors in this area that I can have do this job but
would like to get this group's input and suggestions. The high summer
temperatures have me concerned as far as material longevity is
concerned.

Norm

Norman S. Nadel, M.D.
Retied, Chief Urology
Kaiser

Posted to alt.home.repair

NSN wrote:

I plan to have the entire deck power washed and the cracked areas
ground down and leveled out as much as possible... What is the best
material to use for this project.

You might heat the pool with a dark layer of lightweight concrete
over PEX tubing.

Nick