Posted to alt.home.repair
Apropos

Default Learning to do texture stucco

Where can I learn how to apply texutred stucco? The kind which is common in
FL and CA homes which is apparently created by smearing "blobs" of stucco
finish.

I tried a little of this and it didn't work out at all like I would hope.
The blobs all got smeared together and had very rough edges.

What I'd like to do is *SEE* what the blobs are supposed to look like. How
big and how close together. To have some info on the consistency of the mix
and what motion to do with the trowel. If I had *SOME* idea what this
looked like I could figure out how it would work.

Any websites you know would be of help. The more pics the better.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

"Apropos" wrote in message
. ..
Where can I learn how to apply texutred stucco? The kind which is common
in
FL and CA homes which is apparently created by smearing "blobs" of stucco
finish.

I tried a little of this and it didn't work out at all like I would hope.
The blobs all got smeared together and had very rough edges.

What I'd like to do is *SEE* what the blobs are supposed to look like.
How
big and how close together. To have some info on the consistency of the
mix
and what motion to do with the trowel. If I had *SOME* idea what this
looked like I could figure out how it would work.

Any websites you know would be of help. The more pics the better.

Contact a stucco guy in your area. Bribe him with a couple of pizzas and
pops. I'm sure you could find one that would let you watch the men work.

You can see a lot by observing.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Apropos

Thanks for the idea. However for a small job like this I didn't want to get
too involved in such things. I feel I could learn a LOT from a good website
and a few pics.

If I can't find any good sites then perusing a library for books would be my
second choice.

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Apropos" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"Apropos" wrote in message
. ..
Where can I learn how to apply texutred stucco? The kind which is common
in
FL and CA homes which is apparently created by smearing "blobs" of stucco
finish.

I tried a little of this and it didn't work out at all like I would hope.
The blobs all got smeared together and had very rough edges.

What I'd like to do is *SEE* what the blobs are supposed to look like.
How
big and how close together. To have some info on the consistency of the
mix
and what motion to do with the trowel. If I had *SOME* idea what this
looked like I could figure out how it would work.

Any websites you know would be of help. The more pics the better.

There's a reason plastering is considered an art. It takes quite a while
to get proficient at plastering and stucco is no different.
I build an adobe wall last summer but farmed out the stucco. I'm happy I
did. The guy let me watch and even gave the trowel, hawk, and darby to give
it a go. Let me just say, it'll take a lot more than a few feet for me to
get proficient and I'm pretty handy at most stuff. If the job is small
enough, hire it out and watch learn while they do it.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH

Apropos wrote:
Where can I learn how to apply texutred stucco? The kind which is
common in FL and CA homes which is apparently created by smearing
"blobs" of stucco finish.

I tried a little of this and it didn't work out at all like I would
hope. The blobs all got smeared together and had very rough edges.

One doesn't smear "blobs", one wipes a trowel full of mortar rapidly across
the surface...the blobs are a natural result of mortar sticking in some
places, not in others, and all being flattened by the trowel. If your job
is really small, you could just throw mortar at the area then flatten/smooth
with a trowel.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 19:14:02 -0400, "Apropos"
wrote:

Where can I learn how to apply texutred stucco? The kind which is common in
FL and CA homes which is apparently created by smearing "blobs" of stucco
finish.

I tried a little of this and it didn't work out at all like I would hope.
The blobs all got smeared together and had very rough edges.

What I'd like to do is *SEE* what the blobs are supposed to look like. How
big and how close together. To have some info on the consistency of the mix
and what motion to do with the trowel. If I had *SOME* idea what this
looked like I could figure out how it would work.

Any websites you know would be of help. The more pics the better.

I hired a stucco guy for our patio cover; three columns, ceiling and
patches around the header. It was put on in three passes. The first
being heavy (day one), a second to smooth out missed spots and even
the first coat (day two). The third coat is when the texture began to
blend in with the existing stucco on the house.

This approach helped prevent cracks, etc. The final coat included a
"glue / fiber material" mixed into the stucco to give strength.

Do not try to do an all inclusive job in just one day.

Good luck,

Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair
Apropos

Noone has ANY information on this..?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K

Apropos wrote:
Noone has ANY information on this..?

The best advice has already been given. Watch it being done. 5
minutes of that will teach you more than 5 hours of reading about it.
It certainly did for me when I screwed up my first attempt at taping
drywall. I hired a pro to straighten it out and saw my mistake with
his first few swipes. I had done a lot of reading on 'how to' first.
There are techniques in art that just cannot be described in writing.
Yes, drywall, stucco and the like is 'art'.

Harry K