Posted to alt.home.repair
RichK

Default Shopping for small angle grinder

Hi All,

Found this tool indispensable recently - it belonged to a friend. Now I
want one too.

They come in 4" and 4-1/2" and vary in price from $20 to $100 for the DeWalt
D28402.

One thing I found is that most models show 5A as current, I take it is the
max current and represents either torque or HP. A couple of models like the
D28402 show 10A as max current. That would imply twice of something :-)

What do you like/dislike about an angle grinder? Is the DeWalt worth the
triple the price of some of the models. I do not go by the "you get, what
you pay for" = this is true for some things and only to some extent, but 3x
the price, makes me think.

Regards,

RichK

Posted to alt.home.repair
yourname

I bought a milwaukee to replace a sears 'industrial' model that I also
liked. It works well and has the flapper trigger I like, without the
propensity for firing up when you set it down.

RichK wrote:
Hi All,

Found this tool indispensable recently - it belonged to a friend. Now I
want one too.

They come in 4" and 4-1/2" and vary in price from $20 to $100 for the DeWalt
D28402.

One thing I found is that most models show 5A as current, I take it is the
max current and represents either torque or HP. A couple of models like the
D28402 show 10A as max current. That would imply twice of something :-)

What do you like/dislike about an angle grinder? Is the DeWalt worth the
triple the price of some of the models. I do not go by the "you get, what
you pay for" = this is true for some things and only to some extent, but 3x
the price, makes me think.

Regards,

RichK

Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207

RichK wrote:
Hi All,

Found this tool indispensable recently - it belonged to a friend. Now I
want one too.

They come in 4" and 4-1/2" and vary in price from $20 to $100 for the DeWalt
D28402.

One thing I found is that most models show 5A as current, I take it is the
max current and represents either torque or HP. A couple of models like the
D28402 show 10A as max current. That would imply twice of something :-)

What do you like/dislike about an angle grinder? Is the DeWalt worth the
triple the price of some of the models. I do not go by the "you get, what
you pay for" = this is true for some things and only to some extent, but 3x
the price, makes me think.

Regards,

RichK

I have a Milwuakee & a DeWalt 402 I like both of them.....actually I
was a little skeptical of the Milwaukee switch arrangement. The DeWalt
has a safety feature on the switch that prevent accidental activation
but it takes some time to get used to it.

here's a new one on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/DeWalt-DW402-Hea...QQcmdZViewItem

that you can BIN (buy it now) for way less than retail...problem soved

btw more amps = more power (generally speaking)

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
patrick mitchel

RichK wrote:
[...]

I have a dewalt with the paddle trigger- couple of times I've set the thing
down on uneven surface and snagged the trigger in the process- instant power
up. Out side of that, it works well for me. There was a long thread about a
yr ago on the rec.metalworking newgroup about angle grinders. The consensus
was that the harbor freight angle grinder (chicago electric- not the
drillmaster) was a decent cheap grinder -when bought on the frequent sales
that the place has. Pat

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker LT

The more amps a motor pulls, the longer it will last. Same with vacuum
cleaners. the DeWalt is worth the money.

--
Steve Barker

"RichK" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

"RichK" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I have a very old Makita it's not blue it's rust color I would guess at
least 12 years old most likely more. The only problem, I had to take it
apart and clean it the switch would stick. Also I don't know what your using
it for but there great with a diamond blade for tile and stucco. I want to
get a new one but I also find it is confusing, plus every Co. makes so many
Models.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steven L Umbach

Take a look at the Bosch 1710. I got one and it is very nice. 7.5 amps and
made in Germany [at least they were a couple a months ago]. You can get a
reconditioned one for $65 with full warranty and new for about $20 more. If
you don't want to spend that much many say they have good luck with the
Harbor Freight Chicago Electric one that has ball bearings that is on sale
for around $20 - don't get the Drill Master one. -- Steve

http://bosch.cpotools.com/grinders_a...ders/1710.html

"RichK" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rudy

Found this tool indispensable recently - it belonged to a friend. Now I
want one too.
They come in 4" and 4-1/2" and vary in price from $20 to $100 for the
DeWalt
D28402.

Depends on how much you're going to use it. I'd say the majority of
homeowners wont use one too often.
I use my 10 yr old ($60) Makita a lot cutting, trimming tile and cutting
concrete and stone with the 3 pak ($ 9.99) diamond blades from HFT.

My F-I-L needed one for a few days work. Got the 19.00 one from HFT..whata
piece of junk..did the job but got SO hot, I had to put a glove on to hold
it.

I think its probably fair to say the $ 100 one will probably last 5X the $
20 one.