Posted to alt.home.repair
Dick Adams

Default My Signature Freezer Problem

I can't get parts for my Signature Deluxe 15 Freezer because
there is no model number on it. A friend of mine came over
for something else and took a look at it. He is in the food
service business. He smiled and said it's better than even
money I have a "hot" freezer. It seems, before container
shipments, appliances were stolen from shipping docks in the
Port of Baltimore and were sold. The identification plates
and the warrany information were discarded to prevent the
buyer from getting service from the manufacturer.

I called the person from whom I got it for free. She said
she bought used at an estate auction about 10 years ago. So
now I know 'why no model number'.

I'm having a repair guy come over here to fix it as I am
disabled and my wife needs specific instructions to get
anything out of the ordinary.

Dick
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Dick Adams wrote:
I can't get parts for my Signature Deluxe 15 Freezer because
there is no model number on it. A friend of mine came over
for something else and took a look at it. He is in the food
service business. He smiled and said it's better than even
money I have a "hot" freezer. It seems, before container
shipments, appliances were stolen from shipping docks in the
Port of Baltimore and were sold. The identification plates
and the warrany information were discarded to prevent the
buyer from getting service from the manufacturer.

Why would they care if you got free service?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom G

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
I can't get parts for my Signature Deluxe 15 Freezer because
there is no model number on it. A friend of mine came over
for something else and took a look at it. He is in the food
service business. He smiled and said it's better than even
money I have a "hot" freezer. It seems, before container
shipments, appliances were stolen from shipping docks in the
Port of Baltimore and were sold. The identification plates
and the warrany information were discarded to prevent the
buyer from getting service from the manufacturer.

I called the person from whom I got it for free. She said
she bought used at an estate auction about 10 years ago. So
now I know 'why no model number'.

I'm having a repair guy come over here to fix it as I am
disabled and my wife needs specific instructions to get
anything out of the ordinary.

Dick

Or for some reason the manufacturer authorized the dealer (I believe
Montgomery Wards in this case) to destroy the freezer due to an unfixable
problem under warranty. The plate would have been removed and sent back to
the mfg as prove this was done and to prevent further claims on it under
warranty. However, sometimes the appliance would fall into the hands of
someone who would fix it instead of sending it to the dump...or may even
have retreived it from the salvage yard after the dealer had trashed it. In
AZ., working for Sears, we had a contracted delivery service that was
supposed to pick up these appliances and return them for destruction but the
drivers would sell them "off the back of the truck" to a small repair shop.
The tags would be removed so they couldn't be traced back to the drivers.
And Sears really never caught on...just wrote off the missing inventory at
the end of the year. And working for an independant dealer at one time, I
won a new stove in a sales contest. The tag was removed so that I got the
stove but no warranty.

Tom G.