Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector

Default thunks in my water pipes

Sorry for the crummy title, but its the best I can describe it.

When I turn on my cold water all the way a muted thunk sounds in the
faucet and the fixture jumps a little bit. If I turn it on slowly it
doesn't happen but if I have it turned on a little then crank it up fast it
still does it. So I presume it's related to how fast I drop the pressure.

Is what I'm hearing water hammer? Is it related to the condition of my 50
year old galvanized supply pipes. More importantly, will it harm my
washerless faucets?

Assuming I actually get around to changing out my pipes will this problem go
away.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
Sorry for the crummy title, but its the best I can describe it.

When I turn on my cold water all the way a muted thunk sounds in the
faucet and the fixture jumps a little bit. If I turn it on slowly it
doesn't happen but if I have it turned on a little then crank it up fast
it still does it. So I presume it's related to how fast I drop the
pressure.

Is what I'm hearing water hammer? Is it related to the condition of my 50
year old galvanized supply pipes. More importantly, will it harm my
washerless faucets?

Assuming I actually get around to changing out my pipes will this problem
go away.

Well after reading a bit about it, it doesn't sound like water hammer at
all, but still what would be causing the faucets to jump and move upon
opening? Could there really be that much air in my water supply?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Eigenvector wrote:
Sorry for the crummy title, but its the best I can describe it.

When I turn on my cold water all the way a muted thunk sounds in the
faucet and the fixture jumps a little bit. If I turn it on slowly it
doesn't happen but if I have it turned on a little then crank it up
fast it still does it. So I presume it's related to how fast I drop
the pressure.
Is what I'm hearing water hammer? Is it related to the condition of
my 50 year old galvanized supply pipes. More importantly, will it
harm my washerless faucets?

Assuming I actually get around to changing out my pipes will this
problem go away.

Actually it does sound like water hammer to me, but it may be other.

City or well water? Do you have a pressure reducing valve, a expansion
tank?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
. ..
Eigenvector wrote:
[...]

Its just plain old city water. I don't have any reducing valves or
expansion tanks, really just a plain jane cold water supply system.

I suspect it might be related to the conditions of the pipes, in which case
it will have to wait a bit for that to be fixed. I was really more
concerned about it damaging the fixtures.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The "problem" is not likely that big. The sudden rush of
water into the faucet is causing your pipes to shake against the
floor or wall.

Its a very simple and low cost problem to fix.
The pipe needs to be straped with plumbers strap to the house.

You can put some insulation around the pipe if you need.

Go to the library and get the book "Readers Digest New Complete
Do It Yourself Manual".

If you will email me at I will scan
the page dealing with this and send it to you.

Good luck,
Bnlfan