Posted to alt.home.repair
RichK

Default Dryer drum slight wobble

Hi.

This is a Kenmore Model 87182100, which is 10+ years old. It's a gas unit.

There is a slight wobble in the drum. Not terribly noisy, but annoying. I
opened it up and could not find anything obvious. When I turn the drum by
hand, I do not feel any spots that would cause this. Felt both idler rolls
and the seem smooth.

There's some amount of play front-to-rear, but am not sure how much is
normal.

Anyone care to guess, what may be the cause, or what's worn out?

Regards,

RichK

Posted to alt.home.repair
professorpaul

I think you are at the end of the useful life of the dryer. I would be
inclined to suspect the main shaft bearings. Mine on a Kenmore were
sintered bronze. I gave them a squirt of oil, and managed to get
another year out of the dryer.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RichK

"professorpaul"

I would be inclined to suspect the main shaft bearings.

Not sure where the main shaft bearings are. The dryer drum is supported by
two rubber rolls and felt seals.

Are you sure, you're not thinking of a washer?

I gave them a squirt of oil, and managed to get another year out of the

dryer.

If you are thinking of a dryer, do you think the slight bumping is coming
from a motor wobble, transmitted via the long belt, to the drum? Possible I
suppose,

RichK

Posted to alt.home.repair

Go to www.repairclinic.com and click on repair help. You can look at
an interactive image of your style of dryer.

It likely a very easy fix. I don't think you need to get rid of the
unit yet.