Posted to alt.home.repair

Default pool filter size?

I purchased my pool approximately 3 years ago (above ground 24' round
with 48" sidewalls, approximately 13,000 gallons). I've often wondered
if the filter I was sold (as part of the pool kit) was appropriate for
the size pool I have because no one else around me has a filter this
small (80 lb. sand). I've never had clear water. I'm constently
monitoring pool chemicals and haven't had much problem maintaining the
values where I'm told to keep them. Over the past month I've spent
nearly $400 on chemicals and still have a green pool. As an occupation,
I install ornamental aluminum fencing around inground pools so I know a
few pool installers. They have told me my filter is too small but the
supplier where I bought the pool says this is a standard installation
and they've never had any problems with the 80 lb filters.

What do I do? I've been told that I need three things to maintain a
clear pool, circulation (1hp pump), chemicals (daily monitoring and
maintenance), and filtration (I don't know that I can afford another
stinking filter).

Help please!!!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Keiser

How many hours per day do you run the pump?

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Keiser wrote:
How many hours per day do you run the pump?

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

I run my filter a minimum of 8 hours per day, but many times I leave it
on 24 hours. I forgot to add that the filter and pump are both
Doughboy.

New information:
I borrowed a 200 lb Hayward filter from a friend whose pool is
currently down. It was installed three mornings ago, this morning I
have cloudy/ clear water (first time in 2 1/2 years I've seen the
bottom of my pool).

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Keiser

With those hours of use, the Hayward should be adequate.
Perhaps it was filled with the wrong type of sand?
Open it up and feel the sand. It should be fairly gritty. Or take a sample
to the pool supply store.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Keiser

Sorry, I meant the "Doughboy" should be sufficient even at 80 pound
capacity.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.