Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage tiling

I have this garage at my place which is only used for parking the car
in winters, when it snows. Else the car is parked outside, and the
garage is more of a utility/ storage room for now. I plan to now work
on the garage a bit to make it look better and use it for some plants
or for having breakfast with family etc once in a while.

So was wondering how good would be the idea of tiling the floor. Some
one told me that the tiles can crack on account of the weight of the
car. Please throw in any suggestions you can.
Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

wrote:
Actually the car is pretty light!!!! But do not want to change tiling
everytime I change a car

Well if you don't want to drive a Mini then maybe this stuff:

http://www.rustoleum.com/Product.asp...ct_id=56&SBL=1

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ohh thanks!!! That does seem like a good option.

However I think we are being too picky or stretching it, by looking for
a elegant room which will act as a garage in the winter, contrary to
the other way around.

Any more ideas?

RayV wrote:
wrote:
Actually the car is pretty light!!!! But do not want to change tiling
everytime I change a car

Well if you don't want to drive a Mini then maybe this stuff:

http://www.rustoleum.com/Product.asp...ct_id=56&SBL=1

Posted to alt.home.repair
Andrew Duane

A good *COMMERCIAL* grade tile, properly installed with a good base
should work OK. Go to a real tile place and ask. Don't assume that the
99 cent tiles you get from the big box store will have nearly enough
strength. It will help a lot if the garage floor is in very good shape
(no big cracks, or dips, or anything).

Car dealers and other such places routinely tile floors that have cars
driven on them.

wrote:
I have this garage at my place which is only used for parking the car
in winters, when it snows. Else the car is parked outside, and the
garage is more of a utility/ storage room for now. I plan to now work
on the garage a bit to make it look better and use it for some plants
or for having breakfast with family etc once in a while.

So was wondering how good would be the idea of tiling the floor. Some
one told me that the tiles can crack on account of the weight of the
car. Please throw in any suggestions you can.
Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On 7 Jun 2006 13:04:57 -0700, "Andrew Duane"
wrote:

A good *COMMERCIAL* grade tile, properly installed with a good base
should work OK. Go to a real tile place and ask. Don't assume that the
99 cent tiles you get from the big box store will have nearly enough
strength. It will help a lot if the garage floor is in very good shape
(no big cracks, or dips, or anything).

Car dealers and other such places routinely tile floors that have cars
driven on them.

The above is all true. But I agree with the previous poster that
it will be easier to get a satisfactory performance out of
a well-prepared poured epoxy floor, like this stuff:

http://www.hitechflooring.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ross Mac

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have this garage at my place which is only used for parking the car
in winters, when it snows. Else the car is parked outside, and the
garage is more of a utility/ storage room for now. I plan to now work
on the garage a bit to make it look better and use it for some plants
or for having breakfast with family etc once in a while.

So was wondering how good would be the idea of tiling the floor. Some
one told me that the tiles can crack on account of the weight of the
car. Please throw in any suggestions you can.
Thanks

You might want to look at this product....
http://www.ucoatit.com/
good luck with your project.....Mac

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

wrote:

A good *COMMERCIAL* grade tile, properly installed with a good base
should work OK. Go to a real tile place and ask. Don't assume that the
99 cent tiles you get from the big box store will have nearly enough
strength. It will help a lot if the garage floor is in very good shape
(no big cracks, or dips, or anything).

Car dealers and other such places routinely tile floors that have cars
driven on them.

You can imagine what a little road sand on a tire will do to any glazed
tile
surface.

Yes, I would avoid any glossy glazed porcelain tile. A ceramic tile with no
glaze can be sealed so staining of porous tile nood not be a big concern. A
penetrating sealer will leave the most natural look and a few coats of a
good product will last years.

Any natural stone product will hold up well. Sometimes you can get good
prices on slate in the box stores and at tile stores. Look for the discount
clearance stacks.

I would also opt for 12" or larger tiles. 24" would look good in such a
large expanse and you can design in some accents.

Definately avoid voids in the thinset. Consider back buttering the tiles
and spreading it on the floor.

Tiling a floor can be trickier than you think, lippage is sometimes
difficult to prevent with some kinds of tile especially natural stone that
is not exceptionally well gagued.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

wrote:

A good *COMMERCIAL* grade tile, properly installed with a good base
should work OK. Go to a real tile place and ask. Don't assume that the
99 cent tiles you get from the big box store will have nearly enough
strength. It will help a lot if the garage floor is in very good shape
(no big cracks, or dips, or anything).

Car dealers and other such places routinely tile floors that have cars
driven on them.

You can imagine what a little road sand on a tire will do to any glazed
tile
surface.

Soapstone is gaining some attraction, and it darkens with mineral oil
application to be almost black. Regular reapplication of mineral oil to
dilute any eninge oils will keep this surface looking great for a long
time, but ONLY with a dead level floor, and complete coverage of the
thinset.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

A good *COMMERCIAL* grade tile, properly installed with a good base
should work OK. Go to a real tile place and ask. Don't assume that the
99 cent tiles you get from the big box store will have nearly enough
strength. It will help a lot if the garage floor is in very good shape
(no big cracks, or dips, or anything).

Car dealers and other such places routinely tile floors that have cars
driven on them.

You can imagine what a little road sand on a tire will do to any glazed tile

car dealers have mostly brand new or late model vehicles that hopefully
dont leak oil. plus they have commercial floor scrubbers and must have
a sharp looking show room, so they aree willing to replace those floors
frequently
surface.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Keith Williams

In article .com,
says...

Keith Williams wrote:
In article .com,
says...
I have this garage at my place which is only used for parking the car
in winters, when it snows. Else the car is parked outside, and the
garage is more of a utility/ storage room for now. I plan to now work
on the garage a bit to make it look better and use it for some plants
or for having breakfast with family etc once in a while.

So was wondering how good would be the idea of tiling the floor. Some
one told me that the tiles can crack on account of the weight of the
car. Please throw in any suggestions you can.

I wouldn't worry too much about the weight of the car. You're only
going to put ~30lbs/sq.in. pressure on the tile. As long as the
tile is set properly (no voids in the thinset), I wouldn't think
this would be too much. It'll be kinda like a concrete sandwich.
;-) I would make sure the tile is up for the temperature extremes
and is not porous. Tile can be pretty slippery when wet/oily too,
so I'd watch that.

--
Keith

porous no slippery tile will absorb oil and road grime which does occur
in winter

Yes, and grout is also porous.

high gloss tile will be a slip hazard

Some glazed tiles have a texture (for bathrooms) which will help,
but yes, I'd worry about the slip hazard.

better to use a heavy duty epoxy coating and in the summer roll out
some carpet to dress it up a bit

A friend carpeted his garage in better carpeting than in my living
room, though is Pantera was worth quite a bit more than my
furniture too. ;-)

i think tile will cause a lot of grief

Perhaps, but I think it's possible. My point was mostly about the
weight issue. Cars aren't as "heavy" as some believe.

--
Keith
Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich