Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Caulking around shower face plate?

Long time reader, first time poster. After a nasty shower leak, we had
a handyman completely redo our shower and subfloor. I watched him every
step of the way and he told me how and why he did everything and the
mistakes that the builders made (green wall instead of cement board,
shower pan ripped because it leaned up against pipes, not enough
blocking to keep shower pan supported). Overall, the shower is looking
and working great.

One thing I had a question about though. It appears when he installed
the new shower faceplate, there is no caulk around the edges. The plate
sits very flat against the tile as it should but there is probably a
tiny entry where the grout is set lower than the tiles. There does
appear to be a weep hole at the bottom of the faceplate, as though it
expects moisture to get through. I wasn't sure if this should be
caulked with silicon, much like the shower door itself. Any advice
would be appreciated.

Adam

Posted to alt.home.repair
Craven Morehead

It absolutely should be caulked all around, prior to being set in place.
Leave the weep hole on the bottom, open.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

One reason that it is not caulked is that there is a gasket under the face
plate that serves as the seal to prevent water from leaking into the wall.
Another reason, if you caulk around the face plate it will eventually peal
off.
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

MLD wrote:

One reason that it is not caulked is that there is a gasket under the face
plate that serves as the seal to prevent water from leaking into the wall.
Another reason, if you caulk around the face plate it will eventually peal
off.
MLD

Yep, a gasket should be all that is needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Felder71

Hey everyone...just wanted to thank you all for the replies. I can rest
easier knowing my shower won't rot out again and my handyman knows what
he's doing. Thanks again!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Craven Morehead

MLD & RayV...we have a difference of opinion (a good thing, me thinks)

That little gasket is inadequate. It is cheap and made of open cell foam.
It will NOT prevent water from entering the wall space and, once wet, is
prone to unseen mold and mildew.
I recommend a good grade of silicone caulk. Clean all surfaces before
applying and it should last for many years.

"Craven Morehead" wrote in message
It absolutely should be caulked all around, prior to being set in place.
Leave the weep hole on the bottom, open.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

raised floor insert for shower to bypass leak? [email protected] Home Repair 0 June 7th 06 12:43 PM
Shower stall caulking - HOWTO [email protected] Home Repair 3 February 9th 06 08:19 PM
Shower stall caulking [email protected] Home Ownership 9 December 23rd 05 02:51 AM
Old Craftsman Lathe face plate needed Mike S. Woodturning 10 March 24th 05 07:23 AM
Face plate wanted Abrasha Metalworking 0 January 6th 05 07:30 PM