Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Caulking around shower face plate?

Long time reader, first time poster. After a nasty shower leak, we had
a handyman completely redo our shower and subfloor. I watched him every
step of the way and he told me how and why he did everything and the
mistakes that the builders made (green wall instead of cement board,
shower pan ripped because it leaned up against pipes, not enough
blocking to keep shower pan supported). Overall, the shower is looking
and working great.

One thing I had a question about though. It appears when he installed
the new shower faceplate, there is no caulk around the edges. The plate
sits very flat against the tile as it should but there is probably a
tiny entry where the grout is set lower than the tiles. There does
appear to be a weep hole at the bottom of the faceplate, as though it
expects moisture to get through. I wasn't sure if this should be
caulked with silicon, much like the shower door itself. Any advice
would be appreciated.

Adam