Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert11

Default Two Ccyle Gas Mixtures: Meaningful Differences Between 40 and 50 to 1 ?

Hello:

Have a collection now of 2-Cycle garden stuff like weed wackers, leaf
blowers, etc.

Some are older, some are new.

There is a divergence of requirements on the oil-gas mix for them.
Some say 40 to 1, some are 50 to 1.

Realize the best is to go by the manuals, of course, but it's a real pain
keeping different gas mixtures.

Any "real" and meaningful differences if I use just one ratio mix in all ?

If so, which would be better ?

Thanks,
B.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

Robert11 wrote:

Hello:

Have a collection now of 2-Cycle garden stuff like weed wackers, leaf
blowers, etc.

Some are older, some are new.

There is a divergence of requirements on the oil-gas mix for them.
Some say 40 to 1, some are 50 to 1.

Realize the best is to go by the manuals, of course, but it's a real pain
keeping different gas mixtures.

Any "real" and meaningful differences if I use just one ratio mix in all ?

If so, which would be better ?

Thanks,
B.

I'd shoot for 40:1 with a quality brand of oil (not the cheapest you can
find) and be done with it. Worst case should be perhaps a tiny bit more
smoke from some of the engines, but it shouldn't hurt anything unless
you're in CA perhaps and have the CARB Nazis after you.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Default Two Ccyle Gas Mixtures: Meaningful Differences Between 40 and...

32-1 is great for long life but what your unit recomends is how it is
tuned to run, often a richer mix cant be made to start well as many
units have the adjusting screws locked. The Epa wants less oil, less
polution, but you sacrifice engine life. There was a point Evenrude went
to lean to apease the EPA and engines started seizing, their 2-3000$
motors. Another better alternative is synthetic 2 stroke oil. Yamaha
should have one as does Mobil make a 2 stroke synthetic mix. I just use
32-1 and synthetic when I find it, my Echos start hard but run well.
Synthetics by manufacturer admissions allow a leaner mix.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RW

Your trimmer has a catalytic converter? Does it have a check engine
light as well? Need to take it in for Echeck yearly? (shakes head)

On 7 Jun 2006 06:35:39 -0700, "The Reverend Natural Light"
wrote:

The air/fuel mixture is adjusted to work with the oil mixture. Some
people think they're doing an engine a favor by using more oil, but
what that does is reduce the amount of fuel causing a lean mixture and
too much heat.

Most of my 2-stroke motorcycles have always taken a 32:1 mix, thus I
always have a can of it around. The weed wacker got whatever was in
that can and was always happy with it.

Now I have a new Stihl trimmer. It cost enough that I'm not taking any
chances. It has it's own gas can mixed with the pre-measured oil
bottles supplied by the dealer. And, it has a catalytic converter
which is a whole new issue.

Anyways, if you're dealing with a collection of equipment that ranges
from 40:1 to 50:1, just average it out and mix one can for everything.
Be sure the oil is rated to that ratio. If you don't already own a
Ratio-Rite then go to a motorcycle shop and get one.

-rev

Robert11 wrote:
Hello:

Have a collection now of 2-Cycle garden stuff like weed wackers, leaf
blowers, etc.

Some are older, some are new.

There is a divergence of requirements on the oil-gas mix for them.
Some say 40 to 1, some are 50 to 1.

Realize the best is to go by the manuals, of course, but it's a real pain
keeping different gas mixtures.

Any "real" and meaningful differences if I use just one ratio mix in all ?

If so, which would be better ?

Thanks,
B.

Posted to alt.home.repair
JD

Too rich of a mixture will also plug the fire screen in the muffler.
In addition make sure you empty the gas can completely before refilling and
creating a new mix. If you leave mix in the gas can and then put in a full
bottle of oil the mix will become too rich.
JD
"Robert11" wrote in message
. ..
Hello:

Have a collection now of 2-Cycle garden stuff like weed wackers, leaf
blowers, etc.

Some are older, some are new.

There is a divergence of requirements on the oil-gas mix for them.
Some say 40 to 1, some are 50 to 1.

Realize the best is to go by the manuals, of course, but it's a real pain
keeping different gas mixtures.

Any "real" and meaningful differences if I use just one ratio mix in all ?

If so, which would be better ?

Thanks,
B.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I saw an interesting measuring cup set up to measure 10 through 70 to
1. It was called, " ration rite". Wierd place to find it was in a
Harley Dealer ship, Chicago Harley in Glenview, Il.