Posted to alt.home.repair
welman26

Default craftsman door opener as described below..... driving us crazy

139.53663SRT 41D4674-11 41D4674-10C 971LM 976LM Security +
This thing is making my head hurt. Sorry this is so long but ANY help
on this is much appreciated...
I have a 1/2 HP Craftsman garage door opener. The unit was purchased
new and is now almost three years old. It was professionally
installed and has functioned fine since that time. It has two
Security+ (rolling code) remotes and a wireless keypad.
Around the middle of December, 2000, one remote stopped working. I
figured the battery was dead so I replaced it. No luck. I contacted
Sears and was told that if the battery died, it may have lost its
codes. I was told to reset the unit and reprogram the remotes. It's
all downhill from here...
I dumped the codes (using the SRT button on the logic board). I
followed the programming instructions that state that you should hold
the remote button down, press and hold the "light" button on the wall
pad, and press the "door" button. Using these steps, I added the
first remote no sweat. I tried adding the second remote and the unit
would not accept it. I tried using the alternative method of adding
remotes by pressing the SRT button and then pressing the door button
on the remote. Again, it works fine for the first remote but it won't
allow me to add the second one.
I know what you're thinking -- "Idiot, the remote is bad." Oh, but
check this out...
I dumped the codes (SRT button for six seconds to reset the unit). I
reversed the remotes -- that is, I added the other remote first.
Guess what? It will allow me to add THAT remote but then will not
allow the OTHER one to be added. This can be repeated over and over
with the same results. It appears that the unit will only accept one
remote.
I went back to Sears to get some advice and they told me the logic
board was bad. I purchased a new logic board and installed it. I
reset it and I tried to program the remotes. I had the SAME PROBLEM!
I have since removed the new board and reinstalled the original one.
The only piece that has remained constant was the keypad. I thought
that maybe something was wrong with it and it was interfering with the
programming of the remotes. I removed the battery from it, dumped the
codes from the unit, and tried to reprogram it. No luck. Same
problem.
I even tried programming one remote, removing the battery from it, and
THEN trying to add the second remote (thinking the first remote was
interfering once it was programmed). No luck. Same problem.
Someone told me this in this group but they neglected to tell me how to
fix the problem.

From: Stu Lunger - view profile

Date: Thurs, Feb 8 2001 2:52 pm

Not yet rated
Rating:

original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

OK here goes (delurking for the moment)
This gets a bit complicated and I'll try to make this as simple as I
can.
Door transmitters have evolved substantially these last few years. A
long
time ago each transmitter had their own unique code, but there weren't
that
many codes back then and as more and more of these units were sold, it
became obvious that people were opening each others doors from time to
time.
Along came the dip switches. The dip switches were great, because
everybody
could program in their own unique code eliminating the possibility of
two
people on the same block having the same code, or if they did they had
the
power to change it themselves.
The next stage of evolution was the "billion code" transmitter
introduced by
Chamberlain (Sears) which was great (and simple) because although your
code
may be the same as somebody else's, the chance was almost non-existent.
It
was simple to because there were no more switches to fool around with
and
all you need do was push the transmitter button and hold down the smart

button at the same time.
Along came the rolling code transmitter. The rolling code transmitter
is
almost the same as the billion code transmitter but, IF THE TRANSMITTER
IS
DROPPED ON THE FLOOR, IT WILL REVERT BACK TO A BILLION CODE UNIT, and
that's
your problem. Once you clear the memory from the opener, the opener
will
accept either billion code transmitters, or a rolling code transmitter,
but
it won't accept both. The confusing part is that once its programmed
for a
rolling code transmitter it will operate 1 time only when you attempt
program a billion code transmitter and vica versa.
Stu Lunger
Steel-Craft Door Products Ltd.

Posted to alt.home.repair
welman26

i am not sure but i think your answer is a very small attempt at being
a smart ass. since you actually signed your offering as Terry and
Skipper i can only assume that neither of you are attractive enough to
get a provocative partner to fill your dull afternoons. or perhaps you
are actually homos who wish they could provide a manly answer to a
manly question but fall short due to a lack of testosterone. please
find a kids chat room or something and leave these grown up places
alone.

welman26

Mys Terry wrote:
On 4 Jun 2006 12:07:32 -0700, "welman26" wrote:

139.53663SRT 41D4674-11 41D4674-10C 971LM 976LM Security +
This thing is making my head hurt. Sorry this is so long but ANY help
on this is much appreciated...
I have a 1/2 HP Craftsman garage door opener. The unit was purchased
new and is now almost three years old. It was professionally
installed and has functioned fine since that time. It has two
Security+ (rolling code) remotes and a wireless keypad.
Around the middle of December, 2000, one remote stopped working.

Ummm... Bought new. Three years old. Problem started in Deecember 2000. I think
your problem is that you exist in more than one dimension.

Terry & Skipper, Clearlake Texas