Default Riding Mower driving belt replacement (Craftsman)

I have a Craftsman 48 inch cut riding lawn mover. Last year, the belt
that drives the tranmission had a tendancy to sometimes slip off when I
would puch the clutch in to change years or stop.

Last week that belt broke. I bought a new one and had a terrible
terrible time putting it on last night. I finally thought I had it on.
I started it and put it in reverse and nothing happeened. I noticed the
belt had come off. So, either I did not have the blet on right or there
is some other problem. It seems like a simple system, it goes around
the engine pulley, around an idler and around one that is attached to
the clutch then aound the transmssion pulley. There does not seep to be
a tensioner per se, just the clutch pulley.

What can I do to adjust or fix this?

Also is there an easier way to put this belt on? I had a terrible time
reaching under there with my hands. There is not alot of room and those
wire rods that I guess help keep the belt on the pulley were hard to
get around.

Grey-hound

Try dropping (totally removing to the side) the mower deck. Worked for me
and my deer.
Greyhound

oups.com...