Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
John Taylor

Default Sears Kenmore Dryer noise

I have a Sears Kenmore (mfd by Whirlpool) Dryer, model 110.64212200 that
is almost 3 years old and only gets light/moderate use. It has begun
making an unhappy squeaking/groaning noise during operation. Based on
the frequency of the squeaking it sounds like it is the drum rotating
that is causing the squeaks, not the motor.

Is there anything that I can lubricate or otherwise do to maintain my
equipment? The user manual and installation manual don't offer anything
of value other than the parts diagram.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Tom G

"John Taylor" wrote in message
I have a Sears Kenmore (mfd by Whirlpool) Dryer, model 110.64212200 that
is almost 3 years old and only gets light/moderate use. It has begun
making an unhappy squeaking/groaning noise during operation. Based on
the frequency of the squeaking it sounds like it is the drum rotating
that is causing the squeaks, not the motor.

Is there anything that I can lubricate or otherwise do to maintain my
equipment? The user manual and installation manual don't offer anything
of value other than the parts diagram.

Thanks!

3 years and light use would seem a little soon for the drum bearings to
start wearing out but I would remove the drum and inspect the bearings on
the two drum wheels and the idler/tension pulley bearing. It's pretty easy
to disassemble and since Whirlpool makes about 60 percent of all dryers sold
in the U.S. most books in the library on appliance repair will usually show
the Whirlpool being taken apart and put back together. If the bearings look
and feel tight, lubricating would help. By the way, it's a good idea to
clean all the lint out of the inside of a dryer cabinet every couple of
years, anyway, to avoid fire hazard.

Tom G.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Appliance Repair Aid

John Taylor wrote:
I have a Sears Kenmore (mfd by Whirlpool) Dryer, model 110.64212200 that
is almost 3 years old and only gets light/moderate use. It has begun
making an unhappy squeaking/groaning noise during operation. Based on
the frequency of the squeaking it sounds like it is the drum rotating
that is causing the squeaks, not the motor.

Is there anything that I can lubricate or otherwise do to maintain my
equipment? The user manual and installation manual don't offer anything
of value other than the parts diagram.

Thanks!

Hi,

It has begun
making an unhappy squeaking/groaning noise during operation. Based on
the frequency of the squeaking it sounds like it is the drum rotating
that is causing the squeaks, not the motor.

Drum support wheels may be suspect. Something caught in one of the drum
seals.

Is there anything that I can lubricate

It is usually best to replace the item that is making the noise,
lubrication ( esp a grease ) can attract dust and cause other problems.

or otherwise do to maintain my
equipment?

Vent system going outside should be cleaned out once a year, inside of
the dryer should be vacuumed out every 2-5 years depending on the
dryers useage time.

The user manual and installation manual don't offer anything
of value other than the parts diagram.

They normally never will, they offer info on operating the product.

http://www.applianceaid.com/dryers.html
http://www.applianceaid.com/whirlpool-dryers.html

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
barbarow

It could be something simple such as small item caught on the felt strip
that rotates against the door.

--

Support the Minutemen at:
http://www.minutemanhq.com/hq/linktous.php
"John Taylor" wrote in message
I have a Sears Kenmore (mfd by Whirlpool) Dryer, model 110.64212200 that
is almost 3 years old and only gets light/moderate use. It has begun
making an unhappy squeaking/groaning noise during operation. Based on
the frequency of the squeaking it sounds like it is the drum rotating
that is causing the squeaks, not the motor.

Is there anything that I can lubricate or otherwise do to maintain my
equipment? The user manual and installation manual don't offer anything
of value other than the parts diagram.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

You have a basic Whirlpool-made dryer. True, it could be something as
little as a coin caught in front or rear seal. Yes, you could
lubricate, but sometimes replacing is better. Another option, for
something like a roller, is to remove the roller, clean the bearing
surface of the roller with a light solvent (a Q-tip helps for this),
clean the shaft, apply just a drop of oil to the shaft, and replace the
roller. The idler can make noise too.

To get access to the drum, unplug the dryer, remove 2 screws at lint
screen. Pop the top and rotate back on its rear hinges. Disconnect
door switch. Remove 5/16" screws at upper left and right of the front.
Pull front a little up off its lower clips, and then away from dryer.
Note belt placement so that you can put it all together when you are
done.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

John Taylor wrote:

I have a Sears Kenmore (mfd by Whirlpool) Dryer, model 110.64212200 that
is almost 3 years old and only gets light/moderate use. It has begun
making an unhappy squeaking/groaning noise during operation. Based on
the frequency of the squeaking it sounds like it is the drum rotating
that is causing the squeaks, not the motor.

Is there anything that I can lubricate or otherwise do to maintain my
equipment? The user manual and installation manual don't offer anything
of value other than the parts diagram.

The roller bearings are not lubeable, but a replacement roller kit is relatively
inexpensive and you can do it yourself if your mechanically inclined. Dryers are
not complicated, once you figure out how to get the top cover and front panel
off. While you have it apart, replace the belt. Its cheap and typically breaks
right after you put the dryer back together.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

"Tom G" wrote:

If the bearings look and feel tight, lubricating would help.

I've found that dryer bearings are not lubeable. About two weeks later they
start squeeking again. And its probably not a good idea to have oil mixing with
lint near a burner anyway. Fortunately, roller kits are cheap.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
John Taylor

John Taylor wrote:
I have a Sears Kenmore (mfd by Whirlpool) Dryer, model 110.64212200 that
is almost 3 years old and only gets light/moderate use. It has begun
making an unhappy squeaking/groaning noise during operation. Based on
the frequency of the squeaking it sounds like it is the drum rotating
that is causing the squeaks, not the motor.

Is there anything that I can lubricate or otherwise do to maintain my
equipment? The user manual and installation manual don't offer anything
of value other than the parts diagram.

Thanks to all for the advice! Looking thru my parts list and poking
around online, I found Part # 279948 [Dryer Repair Kit] which Whirlpool
apparently has replaced with Part # 4392065. The dryer kits are matched
by cabinet size, and this number matches my cabinet width of 29 inches.
Sears Parts sells this item for $30.77 plus all of their fees
($29.99 at Whirlpool's site] and I've found it elsewhere for even less.

It looks like they have a do-it-yourself guide as well, perhaps this
would be useful.

I'll be tackling this as soon as I get the chance, it doesn't sound too
bad.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Steve Barker LT

The secret is to use the proper lube. Disk brake caliper lube (high heat)
works perfectly.

--
Steve Barker

"Clark W. Griswold, Jr." wrote in message
"Tom G" wrote:

If the bearings look and feel tight, lubricating would help.

I've found that dryer bearings are not lubeable. About two weeks later
they
start squeeking again. And its probably not a good idea to have oil mixing
with
lint near a burner anyway. Fortunately, roller kits are cheap.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

There are only two rollers you can use: the ones with white hubs, or
the ones with colored hubs. Technically, the white ones are the more
correct ones, but the colored onese work great too. The only
difference in part numbers that you found are due to parts coming as a
pair, or coming with other parts in a kit, as opposed to coming
separate.

I don't use a whole lot of lubrication on shafts, maybe just a drop
when I have used a solvent in that place. The term I have always used
for the right kind of oil is turbine oil. I am looking at my bottle
right now: Supco Zoom Spout all purpose oil. This is nice stuff to
have around.

I would agree that too much oil makes a mess. I don't agree that
lubrication is dangerous. It really doesn't get near flame or heat.
Avoid lubrication that has high odor. You don't want your clothes
smelling like WD-40.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
CDET 14

For help on cleaning out the clothes dryer vent, go to
http://CleanYourOwnDryerVent.com/

Appliance Repair Aid wrote:
John Taylor wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Jonathan

CDET 14 wrote:
For help on cleaning out the clothes dryer vent, go to

$25 bucks to read a manual to figure out how to clean dust out of a
vent? Geesh. How about YouCanReallyCleanYourOwnLintScreen.com to sell
step by step directions of how to clean the screen before each load.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Tom G

wrote in message
oups.com...
There are only two rollers you can use: the ones with white hubs, or
the ones with colored hubs. Technically, the white ones are the more
correct ones, but the colored onese work great too. The only
difference in part numbers that you found are due to parts coming as a
pair, or coming with other parts in a kit, as opposed to coming
separate.

As the OP said there are two kits, denoted by the width of the cabinet. The
27" cabinet uses four rollers plus idler pulley and the 29" cabinet uses two
back rollers only, the front of the drum riding on and being supported by
the cabinet front lip. Plus the idler puller. But like you said the
rollers may be the same otherwise and the hubs color coded to help in
packaging. I do know that the Sears techs would lubricate the bearings as
part of the annual maintenance some people paid dearly for.

Tom G