trader-of-some-jacks

Default Thump noise on startup with Maytag dryer

For the last several weeks, maybe 20-30 loads or so, when I start my
15-year-old Maytag dryer, it has made a single thump as it starts.

The noise is exactly like the noise you get if you start a dryer with
(for example) a sneaker or a really heavy wet towel or sweater in it.
Except I get it even with loads containing no heavy items, and even if
I start the dryer when empty.

No performance issues with the dryer. All loads dry nicely and in the
usual expected amount of time.

I usually notice odd things right away and don't ever remember hearing
this noise until recently. Any ideas what it is?
Joseph Meehan

Try holding your hand on the back panel of the dryer, then the sides and
top. Does it stop if you do so. My guess is one of the panels is flexing
as the power comes up.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
"trader-of-some-jacks" wrote in message
For the last several weeks, maybe 20-30 loads or so, when I start my
15-year-old Maytag dryer, it has made a single thump as it starts.

The noise is exactly like the noise you get if you start a dryer with
(for example) a sneaker or a really heavy wet towel or sweater in it.
Except I get it even with loads containing no heavy items, and even if
I start the dryer when empty.

No performance issues with the dryer. All loads dry nicely and in the
usual expected amount of time.

I usually notice odd things right away and don't ever remember hearing
this noise until recently. Any ideas what it is?

Appliance Repair Aid

trader-of-some-jacks wrote:
For the last several weeks, maybe 20-30 loads or so, when I start my
15-year-old Maytag dryer, it has made a single thump as it starts.

The noise is exactly like the noise you get if you start a dryer with
(for example) a sneaker or a really heavy wet towel or sweater in it.
Except I get it even with loads containing no heavy items, and even

if
I start the dryer when empty.

No performance issues with the dryer. All loads dry nicely and in

the
usual expected amount of time.

I usually notice odd things right away and don't ever remember

hearing
this noise until recently. Any ideas what it is?

Hi,

A noise is something we cannot hear over a forum like this one, so a
guess is about the best we can do.
Check the drum baffles inside....one may be loose or acually have
something inside making the noise. Fan blower ( on the front end of the
motor ) might be another area to check as a worn fan blower will make
some odd noises.

15-year-old Maytag dryer

No model# posted but this take apart section may help...
http://www.applianceaid.com/may-apart.html
http://www.applianceaid.com/slidemayd.html
jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid