Posted to alt.home.repair
joseph Varga

Default Questions about Roof Repair

I am having my hail damaged roof repaired. Do I need to replace the Turbos
and other air vents on the roof? How much benifit to having a 30 year
instead of 20 year roof installed given it hail hard twice a year?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Travis Jordan

joseph Varga wrote:
I am having my hail damaged roof repaired. Do I need to replace the
Turbos and other air vents on the roof? How much benifit to having a
30 year instead of 20 year roof installed given it hail hard twice a
year?

How old is the current roof, vents, etc?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

joseph Varga wrote:
I am having my hail damaged roof repaired. Do I need to replace the
Turbos and other air vents on the roof? How much benifit to having a
30 year instead of 20 year roof installed given it hail hard twice a
year?

In my experience turbos are not very reliable and are short lived, so if
you feel you really really must have them, then I would take the opportunity
to replace them. As for other air vents, chances are the only damage was
cosmetic, unless they are very visible I would not bother.

When I had my hail damage replace I went for the upgraded roof. The
thirty year roof I choose also was an architectural upgrade so it looked
better. I was able to trade off the replacement of gutters and down spouts
for the roof upgrade. The gutters and down spouts were slightly dented but
fully functional and for the most part the most damage was on the private
side of the house.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
mypet

Our insurance company rep came and said that they would pay to replace
the roof, replace the insulation, and paint the ceilings in rooms where
there were water spots on the ceilings. Then we got the insurance
check to compare to the estimate and this is what we found:

Estimated cost of roof repair (alone...no painting, insulation, etc.)
6500.00

Insurance check supposedly for roof repair, insulation and painting
less deductible
5900.00

so...they are saying it will only cost $1400.00 to paint at least 2000
sq. feet of ceilings
replace the same (I assume) amount of insulation?

The letter from the insurance states the following which I don't
understand. Can anyone fill me in on what they are actually saying?
Am I to understand that if it actually costs much more to replace and
repair the damage they will THEN mail me the difference?

Also, the roof on our house was a 20 year roof...I asked the adjuster
what would happen if we installed a 30 year roof this time and she said
that will be fine. She did not say we would have to pay a differential
or anything. This sounds funny to me.

Here's what the ins. letter states:

The actual amount of your loss is estimated to be $5900.00.
Reimbursement of the depreciated amount is part of your replacement
cost benefits and can be claimed by providing us with copies of the
final bills, invoices or receipts.

The attached estimate and Explanation of Building Replacement Cost
Benefits form indicates the maximum replacement cost benefit of
$695.00.

What in the world are they saying here? Are they indicating that if it
actually costs more to repair the roof they will pay the difference as
long as we have invoice proof?

Are they saying they will pay up to $695.00 more and that's it? I'm
totally confused.

I'd really like to upgrade to a 30 year roof, but I need to know how
much more I'll actually have out of pocket and if it's worth it!

Posted to alt.home.repair

mypet wrote:
[...]

ask you roofer how much more a longer life shingle will cost

Posted to alt.home.repair

joseph Varga wrote:
I am having my hail damaged roof repaired. Do I need to replace the Turbos
and other air vents on the roof? How much benifit to having a 30 year
instead of 20 year roof installed given it hail hard twice a year?

Shingles are rated for impact and wind.
Check with a dealer for cost / benefit.
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD

"mypet" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Offering less than estimates is a typical insurance ploy. Get more than one
estimate showing costs more then was offered. Ask for contractor names who
will do the work for their estimate. They depreciate about 10% and will
reimburse after you have the work done. If you don't repair they keep the
10%. Don't give into what the insurance adjuster offers--fight it and if
you get legitimate estimates showing it will cost more then they offer you
will eventually win. Best advice (based on my own experience) is to always
get a Public Adjuster if you have a costly damage event--right away, even
before contacting the insurance company or getting estimates. It is well
worth it and you'll recover more then what they charge and they deal with
the insurance co. I had water damage of about $20,000--insurance company
first offered $14,000. My contractor, along with copies of two other
estimates, confronted the adjuster and challenged her to find anyone who
would do the defined work for less. Got a Public Adjuster, way too late in
the process, so he only offered advice and made a call to the adjuster, who
BTW, reacted to his call more then to that of the contractor. Insurance
companies don't like to deal with them--too good and to smart. Good luck.
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair
mypet

Lucky me, I live in a state that has no public adjusters listed by
NAPIA. I suppose I'll just have to get to work getting contractors
estimates? Thx for the tips.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mypet wrote:
[...]

The insurer should have provided you with a detailed estimate showing
how much of the estimate was for the roof and how much was for
insulation and paint. If something is out of line (i.e a contractor
cannot make the repairs for the prices on the estimate), call your
adjuster. The time to resolve pricing differences is before you do any
work.

The $695.00 is the difference between the replacement cost value of the
repairs and the actual cash value (depreciated) value of the repairs.
It is recoverable once you make repairs.

Have your contractor provide you with an estimate for what you had and
have him show what the additional cost is to go to 30 year shingles.

Concrete roof tiles repair question miamicuse Home Repair 4 November 14th 05 05:34 AM
conflicting advice on roof repair [email protected] Home Repair 4 November 2nd 05 11:10 AM
conflicting advice on roof repair [email protected] Home Repair 2 October 31st 05 09:49 PM
Low-Slope Roof Repair Al Home Repair 13 February 15th 05 04:46 PM
Repair flat roof or have a sloping tiled roof put on? N. Thornton UK diy 0 January 8th 05 02:22 PM