Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Questions about Roof Repair

mypet wrote:
Our insurance company rep came and said that they would pay to replace
the roof, replace the insulation, and paint the ceilings in rooms where
there were water spots on the ceilings. Then we got the insurance
check to compare to the estimate and this is what we found:

Estimated cost of roof repair (alone...no painting, insulation, etc.)
6500.00

Insurance check supposedly for roof repair, insulation and painting
less deductible
5900.00

so...they are saying it will only cost $1400.00 to paint at least 2000
sq. feet of ceilings
replace the same (I assume) amount of insulation?

The letter from the insurance states the following which I don't
understand. Can anyone fill me in on what they are actually saying?
Am I to understand that if it actually costs much more to replace and
repair the damage they will THEN mail me the difference?

Also, the roof on our house was a 20 year roof...I asked the adjuster
what would happen if we installed a 30 year roof this time and she said
that will be fine. She did not say we would have to pay a differential
or anything. This sounds funny to me.

Here's what the ins. letter states:

The actual amount of your loss is estimated to be $5900.00.
Reimbursement of the depreciated amount is part of your replacement
cost benefits and can be claimed by providing us with copies of the
final bills, invoices or receipts.

The attached estimate and Explanation of Building Replacement Cost
Benefits form indicates the maximum replacement cost benefit of
$695.00.

What in the world are they saying here? Are they indicating that if it
actually costs more to repair the roof they will pay the difference as
long as we have invoice proof?

Are they saying they will pay up to $695.00 more and that's it? I'm
totally confused.

I'd really like to upgrade to a 30 year roof, but I need to know how
much more I'll actually have out of pocket and if it's worth it!

ask you roofer how much more a longer life shingle will cost