Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete from Boston

Default Stripping paint from plaster

This topic has been discussed a number of times, but I have a further
question that I haven't seen addressed yet. Is it possible to
chemically strip paint from plaster? The conventional strippers I've
looked at seem to indicate they're for wood, metal, masonry, etc. --
more solid materials.

I've been painting some 50-year-old plaster walls, not painted in
probably 35+ years, where some parts are peeling due to steam (outside
bathroom door, in laundry room), and I'd like to get a good stab at
removing the paint to prevent repeeling after repainting. Did some
sanding/scraping, but I'm wondering if there's an easier way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete from Boston wrote:
This topic has been discussed a number of times, but I have a further
question that I haven't seen addressed yet. Is it possible to
chemically strip paint from plaster? The conventional strippers I've
looked at seem to indicate they're for wood, metal, masonry, etc. --
more solid materials.

I've been painting some 50-year-old plaster walls, not painted in
probably 35+ years, where some parts are peeling due to steam (outside
bathroom door, in laundry room), and I'd like to get a good stab at
removing the paint to prevent repeeling after repainting. Did some
sanding/scraping, but I'm wondering if there's an easier way.

yeah stripper works a buddy did a bathroom

Posted to alt.home.repair
dicko

On 2 Jun 2006 09:33:50 -0700, "Pete from Boston"
wrote:

This topic has been discussed a number of times, but I have a further
question that I haven't seen addressed yet. Is it possible to
chemically strip paint from plaster? The conventional strippers I've
looked at seem to indicate they're for wood, metal, masonry, etc. --
more solid materials.

I've been painting some 50-year-old plaster walls, not painted in
probably 35+ years, where some parts are peeling due to steam (outside
bathroom door, in laundry room), and I'd like to get a good stab at
removing the paint to prevent repeeling after repainting. Did some
sanding/scraping, but I'm wondering if there's an easier way.

Stripper works. I've used the orange citrus smelling stuff on my
walls. If the paint is already peeling, a razorblade works
remarkably well at removing the paint. You can clean most of a wall
in a few hours and then follow up with the stripper on any paint
patches that are stuck too firmly for the razorblade.

Of course, this is assuming it isnt lead based paint.

dickm