Posted to alt.home.repair
CathyLee

Default Bathtub trap suction

I am replacing the tub...when the basement washer drains ...I think it sucks
the water out of the bathtub trap?? as we can smell the septic odour...The
previous owner had sealed the overflow and kept the plug in.

I asked one plumber they didn't know why? not getting him. I would like this
fixed right and need to know what to ask the plumber and what I need to hear
from them.

Anyone have issues with acrylic tubs? airjet ones?

CathyLee

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

CathyLee wrote:
I am replacing the tub...when the basement washer drains ...I think it sucks
the water out of the bathtub trap?? as we can smell the septic odour...The
previous owner had sealed the overflow and kept the plug in.

I asked one plumber they didn't know why? not getting him. I would like this
fixed right and need to know what to ask the plumber and what I need to hear
from them.

You are on the right track, find another plumber. Sounds like you have
a venting problem. Might be able to be fixed by:
clearing a clogged vent
installing a "loop vent"
installing a mecahnical air vent
relocating the washer drain
The loop vent and air vent are only allowed in certain situations, so
make sure you get a permit and an inspection. Don't deal with any
plumber that says "This can be fixed without a permit".

Was the basement washer added after the house was built?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

CathyLee wrote:
I am replacing the tub...when the basement washer drains ...I think
it sucks the water out of the bathtub trap?? as we can smell the
septic odour...The previous owner had sealed the overflow and kept
the plug in.
I asked one plumber they didn't know why? not getting him. I would
like this fixed right and need to know what to ask the plumber and
what I need to hear from them.

Anyone have issues with acrylic tubs? airjet ones?

CathyLee

I was going to answer your question, but that darn Ray covered it so
well, there is nothing to add.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
CathyLee

I think the washer vent was added after to the main output -going to the
septic about 5 ft above the basement floor into the wall.. there is a
trap...is this allowed? Where else could I put the washer drain tube so I
can keep the washer downstairs?

Thanks for your help
CathyLee

"RayV" wrote in message

[...]