Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave

Default new deck help

I am going to put a deck on the back of my house. I am wondering what is
the best way to attach the ledger board to the cement block foundation?
Also, the deck will be 12 feet long and 8 feet out from the house. I am
thinking of using the cardboard tubes (filled with cement) for the
footings. The footings would be 6 feet out from the house and 6 feet
apart for the 12 foot length. I would be using 2" x 8" (doubled) treated
lumber for the perimeter. In the future I would like to make this into a
screened-in porch. Would this be o.k.? Any HELPFUL comments or
suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

Dave wrote:
I am going to put a deck on the back of my house. I am wondering what is
the best way to attach the ledger board to the cement block foundation?
Also, the deck will be 12 feet long and 8 feet out from the house. I am
thinking of using the cardboard tubes (filled with cement) for the
footings. The footings would be 6 feet out from the house and 6 feet
apart for the 12 foot length. I would be using 2" x 8" (doubled) treated
lumber for the perimeter. In the future I would like to make this into a
screened-in porch. Would this be o.k.? Any HELPFUL comments or
suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

I am considering a similar construction this fall or next spring. Talk
to your building inspector about how to attach to the foundation, the
answers you get here may not pass code there. The connection of the
ledger board is probably the most critical part of building a deck.

Based on an 8' span and 6' between columns you should be using at least
double 2x10s for your beam. If height is not an issue, oversize your
beam and floor joists. A friend of mine went within specs for a 9'
span (2x6 is allowed) and has bounce. Also if you have the clearance
it is a lot easier and cheaper (no joist hangers needed) if you set the
joists on top of your outer beam.

You should not need doubled joists at the ends (perpindicular to house)
only for the beam (parallel to house). Again, talk to the inspector.

Here are some helpful links:
http://www.startremodeling.com/decktables.htm
http://www.awc.org/calculators/span/...eversecalc.asp
http://www.awc.org/calculators/span/...rcalcstyle.asp

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

Dave wrote:
I am going to put a deck on the back of my house. I am wondering what is
the best way to attach the ledger board to the cement block foundation?
Also, the deck will be 12 feet long and 8 feet out from the house. I am
thinking of using the cardboard tubes (filled with cement) for the
footings. The footings would be 6 feet out from the house and 6 feet
apart for the 12 foot length. I would be using 2" x 8" (doubled) treated
lumber for the perimeter. In the future I would like to make this into a
screened-in porch. Would this be o.k.? Any HELPFUL comments or
suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Another thought or two:
If you are able to set your floor joists on top of your beam you could
move your footings closer to the house and closer together. You might
be able to have the footings 5' apart and 6' from the house. This
would mean that your joist would overhang 2' and your beam would
overhang your footings a foot on either end. But of course if your
height requires you to have the joists hung at the same height as the
beam this can't be done.

Posted to alt.home.repair
marson

Dave wrote:
I am going to put a deck on the back of my house. I am wondering what is
the best way to attach the ledger board to the cement block foundation?
Also, the deck will be 12 feet long and 8 feet out from the house. I am
thinking of using the cardboard tubes (filled with cement) for the
footings. The footings would be 6 feet out from the house and 6 feet
apart for the 12 foot length. I would be using 2" x 8" (doubled) treated
lumber for the perimeter. In the future I would like to make this into a
screened-in porch. Would this be o.k.? Any HELPFUL comments or
suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

contacting your building department is good advice. in my town, they
have the requirements for decks on their website.

if you are adding a porch roof, you are adding load to your foundation.
it depends on what your snow load is, but where i live you would
basically have to double the footings. you can put a foot on your
posts, or add more or something similar.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No

Dave wrote:
I am going to put a deck on the back of my house. I am wondering what is
the best way to attach the ledger board to the cement block foundation?
Also, the deck will be 12 feet long and 8 feet out from the house. I am
thinking of using the cardboard tubes (filled with cement) for the
footings. The footings would be 6 feet out from the house and 6 feet
apart for the 12 foot length. I would be using 2" x 8" (doubled) treated
lumber for the perimeter. In the future I would like to make this into a
screened-in porch. Would this be o.k.? Any HELPFUL comments or
suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Best way to attach ledger to block would be to use carriage bolts
through to the inside with large washers or steel plate on the inside. I
never have any luck with anchors in block. As others have said, your
building dept will likely have guidelines.

Posted to alt.home.repair
JD

It wouldn't be that much additional work to put a few footings and posts
near the house thus putting the weignt on the posts and using the ledger for
stability rather than support.
JD

"RayV" wrote in message
oups.com...