Posted to alt.home.repair
marson

Default new deck help

Dave wrote:
I am going to put a deck on the back of my house. I am wondering what is
the best way to attach the ledger board to the cement block foundation?
Also, the deck will be 12 feet long and 8 feet out from the house. I am
thinking of using the cardboard tubes (filled with cement) for the
footings. The footings would be 6 feet out from the house and 6 feet
apart for the 12 foot length. I would be using 2" x 8" (doubled) treated
lumber for the perimeter. In the future I would like to make this into a
screened-in porch. Would this be o.k.? Any HELPFUL comments or
suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

contacting your building department is good advice. in my town, they
have the requirements for decks on their website.

if you are adding a porch roof, you are adding load to your foundation.
it depends on what your snow load is, but where i live you would
basically have to double the footings. you can put a foot on your
posts, or add more or something similar.