Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage Floor Repair

The garage floor in my home is pitted and has undulations in the
finish. The inspector thought that the original slab might have been
pitted or damaged by the rain and they attempted to lay a thin layer
over it to "fix" the problem -- and now that layer has come off in
places. There does not seem to be any new pieces coming off.

What (if any) would be a good product to even the floor with? I would
like to smooth it to the point I could successfully apply a floor
sealer that you come across in automotive shops - the one that achieves
that grey, smooth appearance.

I would also be interested in tips, best practices, etc. as they relate
to the project as a whole.

Thanks in advance!

Ian

Posted to alt.home.repair
John H.

wrote in message
oups.com...
The garage floor in my home is pitted and has undulations in the
finish. The inspector thought that the original slab might have been
pitted or damaged by the rain and they attempted to lay a thin layer
over it to "fix" the problem -- and now that layer has come off in
places. There does not seem to be any new pieces coming off.

What (if any) would be a good product to even the floor with? I would
like to smooth it to the point I could successfully apply a floor
sealer that you come across in automotive shops - the one that achieves
that grey, smooth appearance.

I would also be interested in tips, best practices, etc. as they relate
to the project as a whole.

Thanks in advance!

Ian

Ian,
The floor sealer you may be refering to is U-Coat-It?? Its advertised on the
Speed Channel but it is basically an
epoxy based paint you apply to a CLEAN concrete floor, no oil or silcone
based tire cleaners etc can be on the floor. I spent 2 weeks just cleaning
my garage floor.

I did my garage last year. I got the grey gloss paint with a blue-black and
white fleck. Its really nice. I dont regret doing it at all.

As for leveling the floor or the pitting, they make a epoxy product that you
can use to fill in cracks and pits. If your needing to re-level the floor,
this product may not be good to use since it comes in gallon cans and is
somewhat expensive for a large leveling job.

I also think there is a concrete leveling machine that you can rent. This
also takes off the layers of oil or armour all that will interfer with the
paint adhering.This may be a better option for your floor?