Posted to alt.home.repair
am3f

Default How important is the barnd in furnace & A/C?

Looking to get a new furnace & whole house A/c. Just how important is the
name brand of the units?? I know that the installer is the key factor to
everything but is any of the brands better of worse than others?? I have
been told that you are paying for the advertising that many of the major
players do, & some of the lower, no name brands are just as good, even
better than major manufactures. What brands do you have a preference for &
why do you feel that way?? Thanks to anyone in the crowd that responds
Al
Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Consumer Reports did a poll of apx 35000 over 5 or so years on
reliability experianced, Goodman was last. Read their article

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lena

am3f wrote:
Looking to get a new furnace & whole house A/c. Just how important is the
name brand of the units?? I know that the installer is the key factor......

Usually, (at least in my area), each Heating and Air Conditioning
company has their own preferred brand. It's a good idea to get three
estimates and attempt to narrow down the variables so you are not
comparing apples to oranges. High efficiency higher cost less reliable
furnace, or lower efficiency lower cost more reliable furnace. 12, 13
or 14 SEER AC?. Bryant, Lennox, Carrier. I think the reputation,
reliability and honesty of the installer is far more important than the
brand.

Lena

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Hill

On 1 Jun 2006 10:34:08 -0700, "Lena" wrote:

am3f wrote:
Looking to get a new furnace & whole house A/c. Just how important is the
name brand of the units?? I know that the installer is the key factor......

Usually, (at least in my area), each Heating and Air Conditioning
company has their own preferred brand. It's a good idea to get three
estimates and attempt to narrow down the variables so you are not
comparing apples to oranges. High efficiency higher cost less reliable
furnace, or lower efficiency lower cost more reliable furnace. 12, 13
or 14 SEER AC?. Bryant, Lennox, Carrier. I think the reputation,
reliability and honesty of the installer is far more important than the
brand.

I'm not buying the higher efficiency less reliable thing. Fact is,
even lower efficiency units are starting to use some of the same
technologies to boost efficiency.