Posted to alt.home.repair
HotRod

Default How to refinish old floors

I have some very old, 100+ years, cedar floors in my house and decided that
I'd refinish all of them. I started with the amster bedroom with a drum
sander and 24 grit paper but it still took all day. First I needed to get
through the paint and then the yellow stuff underneith (like putty) just
keeps gumming up the sand paper when it is heated. I tried stripping parts
of the floor first with stripper but that didn't help much. Using a heat gun
helps a bit but is very, very labour intesive. Does anyone know how to
remove this"putty" without 200+ sheets of sandpaper?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH

HotRod wrote:
I have some very old, 100+ years, cedar floors in my house and
decided that I'd refinish all of them. I started with the amster
bedroom with a drum sander and 24 grit paper but it still took all
day. First I needed to get through the paint and then the yellow
stuff underneith (like putty) just keeps gumming up the sand paper
when it is heated. I tried stripping parts of the floor first with
stripper but that didn't help much. Using a heat gun helps a bit but
is very, very labour intesive. Does anyone know how to remove
this"putty" without 200+ sheets of sandpaper?

How thick is it? Could it be linoleum?

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...