Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to refinish old floors

I would use the heat gun.

HotRod wrote:
I have some very old, 100+ years, cedar floors in my house and decided that
I'd refinish all of them. I started with the amster bedroom with a drum
sander and 24 grit paper but it still took all day. First I needed to get
through the paint and then the yellow stuff underneith (like putty) just
keeps gumming up the sand paper when it is heated. I tried stripping parts
of the floor first with stripper but that didn't help much. Using a heat gun
helps a bit but is very, very labour intesive. Does anyone know how to
remove this"putty" without 200+ sheets of sandpaper?