Posted to alt.home.repair
twenty_over

Default cooling upstairs with ac - it's too hot

Can anyone offer suggestions as to how I can get the upstairs cooler, the ac
works great on the first floor but it stays too darn hot in the bedrooms
upstairs. I have a 2,300 sq ft colonial.

Thanks for any help!
Tom W.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"twenty_over" wrote in message
. com...
Can anyone offer suggestions as to how I can get the upstairs cooler, the
ac works great on the first floor but it stays too darn hot in the
bedrooms upstairs. I have a 2,300 sq ft colonial.

Thanks for any help!
Tom W.

You need better air circulation and/or better returns upstairs. Close off
the registers downstairs about 50% to force more cold air upstairs. You may
want to check the blower speed also. If it is a dual or variable speed,
kick it up a notch or two.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tvfarmer

Attic insulation and a power vent /fan to move the hot air out of the
attic space. That usually helps alot.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lena

twenty_over wrote:
Can anyone offer suggestions as to how I can get the upstairs cooler...

Put the furnace fan to 'on' rather than 'auto'.

Consider room airconditioners for upstairs.
They are inexpensive. New ones are efficient.
On some days, you may need to only run the window units
to cool upstairs.
If you come home to a hot house after being away for a while,
running the window units and the central a/c will cool the house
faster.
If you sleep upstairs, and you like it cool at night, you could keep
the bedroom colder and not have to cool the entire house that much.
When we added two window units upstairs, we used the central a/c a lot
less
and our total electric bill was significantly lower.

Lena

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken

twenty_over wrote:
Can anyone offer suggestions as to how I can get the upstairs cooler, the ac
works great on the first floor but it stays too darn hot in the bedrooms
upstairs. I have a 2,300 sq ft colonial.

Thanks for any help!
Tom W.

Do you have a separate unit for upstairs, or is there one unit
servicing both floors???

Posted to alt.home.repair

twenty_over wrote:
Can anyone offer suggestions as to how I can get the upstairs cooler, the ac
works great on the first floor but it stays too darn hot in the bedrooms
upstairs. I have a 2,300 sq ft colonial.

Thanks for any help!
Tom W.

and ... knowing nothing about your situation from your description
(sorry), sealing, insulation, shading and attic ventilation are
enormously more energy-efficient than cranking up the a/c compressor.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

On Tue, 30 May 2006 18:37:26 GMT, "twenty_over"
wrote:

Can anyone offer suggestions as to how I can get the upstairs cooler, the ac
works great on the first floor but it stays too darn hot in the bedrooms
upstairs. I have a 2,300 sq ft colonial.

Thanks for any help!
Tom W.

Check window leaks.... If you have an attic access panel on the top
floor, seal it.

Seal any draft around receptacles, switches ... sounds a bit much, I
have seen air drafts on outside walls at receptacles.

Some times insulation may be lacking or "missing" in the attic.

Oren

excused from saving Universes."
Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

twenty_over wrote:
Can anyone offer suggestions as to how I can get the upstairs cooler, the ac
works great on the first floor but it stays too darn hot in the bedrooms
upstairs. I have a 2,300 sq ft colonial.

Thanks for any help!
Tom W.

And we now nothing about the cooling season where you live.

Gulf Coast and Desert Southwest have RADICALLY different cooling needs
than Maine, North Dakota, Montana.......

Desert S/W gets months worth of 90+ with low humidity, Gulf Coast gets
months worth of 90+ temp 90+ humidity,

More insulation in the attic over the upstairs bedrooms, window
film/shades/curtains to cut radiant heat into the bedrooms will all help.

Closing off doorways to the downstairs at night will keep cool air upstairs,

And yes, depending on where you live, adding window units MAY prove to
be economic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

twenty_over wrote:
Can anyone offer suggestions as to how I can get the upstairs cooler, the ac
works great on the first floor but it stays too darn hot in the bedrooms
upstairs. I have a 2,300 sq ft colonial.

Thanks for any help!
Tom W.

Biggest two things that help us a

1. Keep the fan in the "on" setting rather than auto
2. Close one or two vents on the main floor.

Doug

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Kulpa

Is there a return upstairs? I had a 2 story house w/ the same problem
and the only return was downstairs. The A/C guy came and installed a
return duct upstairs, plus zone thermostat and controller, and it made
a BIG difference

steve