Posted to alt.home.repair
gntry

Default Craftsman riding mower question

I just acquired a used 10 hp 36" deck riding mower. My question is the
motor, I can't find a single sticker, placard, stamp of any kind telling me
what brand motor it is. I believe it's a Briggs&Stratton but I can't tell
for sure. It has one sticker on it that says Craftsman. Didn't all the older
Craftsman riders come with a B&S? I'm tring to find a replacement muffler.
The one attached is the oddest looking one I've ever seen.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Franklin

On Sat, 27 May 2006 02:37:00 GMT, "gntry" wrote:

I just acquired a used 10 hp 36" deck riding mower. My question is the
motor, I can't find a single sticker, placard, stamp of any kind telling me
what brand motor it is. I believe it's a Briggs&Stratton but I can't tell
for sure. It has one sticker on it that says Craftsman. Didn't all the older
Craftsman riders come with a B&S? I'm tring to find a replacement muffler.
The one attached is the oddest looking one I've ever seen.

Try going to www.sears.com/parts and entering the model number of the
mower. They have diagrams for most all their stuff, even older, and
you should be able to drill down to the engine. You will probably
even be able to order the muffler from them if you like.

HTH,

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stubby

Paul Franklin wrote:
On Sat, 27 May 2006 02:37:00 GMT, "gntry" wrote:

I just acquired a used 10 hp 36" deck riding mower. My question is the
motor, I can't find a single sticker, placard, stamp of any kind telling me
what brand motor it is. I believe it's a Briggs&Stratton but I can't tell
for sure. It has one sticker on it that says Craftsman. Didn't all the older
Craftsman riders come with a B&S? I'm tring to find a replacement muffler.
The one attached is the oddest looking one I've ever seen.

Try going to www.sears.com/parts and entering the model number of the
mower. They have diagrams for most all their stuff, even older, and
you should be able to drill down to the engine. You will probably
even be able to order the muffler from them if you like.

That should work but Sears is no longer stocking parts for old mowers.
Also, I replaced the "muffler" on my Tecumseh engine but it didn't
decrease the noise. They explained to me that it actually a spark
arrester, not a real muffler. I have been seeking a muffler that will
bolt on but no luck so far.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron

Stubby wrote:
Paul Franklin wrote:
[...]

Sears outlet stores stock a lot of parts and if you don't have an
outlet store close, you can just order it from their site.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob S.

gntry wrote:
I just acquired a used 10 hp 36" deck riding mower. My question is the
motor, I can't find a single sticker, placard, stamp of any kind telling me
what brand motor it is. I believe it's a Briggs&Stratton but I can't tell
for sure. It has one sticker on it that says Craftsman. Didn't all the older
Craftsman riders come with a B&S? I'm tring to find a replacement muffler.
The one attached is the oddest looking one I've ever seen.

I have a Craftsman 10 hp rider with a 30" deck. The mower was made for
Sears by Murray and the engine is a B&S. It does have a somewhat odd
muffler like an inverted "L", held on with 2 bolts thru a strap plus a
side tab w/bolt. If that matches yours, the part # is 33280A.

Bob S.