Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default A/C Condenser Coil ... dripping pan

"Sol Rosenberg" wrote in message
r.the.reefer.com...
The indoor A/C system we have is installed in the hallway of our home. The
coil/pan is
dripping water and soaking the carpet. A few years ago we funneled bleach
water in and
drained it out. It cleared out the sludge and seemed to drain well over
the next few years.
We tried doing the same thing again but the water mix just runs over the
inside but not
back out through the funneled tube when let down.

Find the drain. It is plugged and has to be opened up. Run a wire or snake
down the draina nd problem is gone.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Sol Rosenberg" wrote in message

That was the first thing I did. Funneled a little warm bleach water and
poked with a guitar
string into the pan. The solution just spilled over before I could bring
the tube back
down. Warm water solution flowed fine down the copper pipe which goes to a
sink drain.
Pan is probaby just shot.

I don't understand. The pan is designed to hold water and send it to a
drain. If it is holding water, that part of the pan is doing its job. The
drain, evidently, is not. These things plug easily from the dust and stuff
that accumulates in it. Empty the pan with a cup, scoop, or turkey baster.
Find the drain. Properly clear the drain. It will take more than hot water
and a guitar string. It may take a small plumber snake to reach the end and
open it up completely.

If the pan is not leaking, it is doing what it was designed to do. The
drain, not the pan, is the problem. Fix it properly, maintain it during the
year, it will work as it should.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Nonnymus

Sol Rosenberg wrote:
"Edwin Pawlowski" said in

[...]

If you have a plugged line, I recommend using an air
compressor to blow out the line, followed with a Clorox
flush. I did this every year with the two we had in NC, and
it worked great. You can access either end of the line-
whichever is easier.

Nonnymus
Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

Nonnymus wrote:

Sol Rosenberg wrote:

"Edwin Pawlowski" said in

[...]

While that's true, if given a choice, choose to blow away from the coil.
Otherwise, you can have a mess to clean up.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Nonnymus

CJT wrote:

If you have a plugged line, I recommend using an air compressor to
blow out the line, followed with a Clorox flush. I did this every
year with the two we had in NC, and it worked great. You can access
either end of the line- whichever is easier.

Nonnymus

While that's true, if given a choice, choose to blow away from the coil.
Otherwise, you can have a mess to clean up.

Thanks for pointing this out. You are right. In my own
case, the pans are in the upstairs attic, where the drains
are right outside the garage door. My choice is simple. Grin

Nonnymus

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Sol Rosenberg" wrote in message

Where it appears blocked is going into the pan from that front pipe. This
is where I poked
a guitar string last time and it loosened the crud and drained a bunch
out. I tried this
because it looks like someone built the pan (welded) it into the old 1972
unit and I didn't
see any other way to get to it. The pan is now overflowing and dripping
onto the interior
of everything below including the blower. We have square buckets gathering
the water
until someone can come out and take a look at it but it'll have to be
after holiday. I'm
trying not to run it too much but it can get hell degrees quickly in TX.
Thanks much for
the info and reply!

Evidently there is some serious buildup at the tube inlet. Loosening it
with a thin wire will push it out of the way a little, but it may float
right back. Do you have a wet/dry vac? If so, try to suck out the crud
since it is only a new inches. Alternatively, put a thinner tube inside and
it may drain into the bucket. Plastic tubing would work for that. You may
be able to push it past the clog.

If you can get that wet vac into the pan, it may clear it all out.