Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Liability of home warranty company to tenant/renter?

Greetings,
My question is if the liability of a home warranty company extends
beyond the home owner to the tenant/renter of the covered home.

The warranty is in the name of the home owner. A/C stopped working in
the covered home. The temerature in the home reaches 90+ degrees
without the A/C working, making it uninhabitable. As a result,
tenant/renter was displaced and rented a hotel room. State law
provides recoverery of the cost of suitable housing at a rate of not
more than 25% above the periodic rate. The daily rate is $30, so
tenant's maximum allowance is $37.50 per day.

Home owner has made attempts by way of the warranty company to resolve
the issue, and so cannot be viewed as being neglegent. If it can
successfully be argued that the warranty company acted with neglegence,
does the tenant have a cause of action against the warranty company
directly?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty

In article . com,
says...

[...]

Well, what does the warranty say? Certainly, when I had a home warranty as a
new homeowner taking over a house with some ancient appliances, there was no
clause covering habitability loss, even for me. It was all about replacing the
appliances (and only with ones they'd supply, to boot.)

At any rate, this is a separate issue from what a landlord's obligation is
concerning an uninhabitable apartment. The renter's lease, if any, and local
laws would cover that.

But look at the warranty if you're the homeowner/landlord. If you're the
tenant, look at your lease and contact your local renter's rights organization.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim McLaughlin

The warranty company's liaility is spelled out in thewarrantycontrat. Ther
is o "prvity" between the warranty company and the tenant. Probably o
liability by the warranty company o the tenant.

I expect that the warranty contract has aclause or clauses that limit
liability to oly the owner, and provides no overage whatever if the house is
not owner occupied.

What is the tenant'sproblem. () degrees isnt that ot. Buy a fan for two
for the short term duration until the cgeap assed owner gets a contractor
in to fix the AC.

Fifty years ago in the same location it got just as hot. Folks survived;
"uninhabitable" my ass.

--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
If you really need to reply directly, try:
jimdotmclaughlinatcomcastdotcom

And you know it is a dotnet not a dotcom
address.
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On 25 May 2006 13:48:45 -0700, wrote:

Greetings,
My question is if the liability of a home warranty company extends
beyond the home owner to the tenant/renter of the covered home.

No.

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom

Like Mr. Putnam says, it's the landlords responsibility to get the AC
fixed, or provide a suitable alternative, home warrantee or not. I'm a
landlord, and if a tenant calls me with a complaint along those lines,
I do my best to fix it quickly. It's 100+ degrees today! I don't see
an issue with such a warrantee in regards to_who_ lives in the house ,
but rather_which_ company does the work authorized by the home
warrantee provider. G'luck. Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

wrote in message
[...]

I seriously doubt any warrany would cover incedantal damages to the property
or other related damages (rental fees for replacement apartment) beyond the
cost of repairing or replacing the appliance or system covered. That
disclaimer is SOP on just about every warranty I ever saw. Even my auto
insurance wouldn't cover a replacement rental car unless I specifically
bought that coverage.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
..

The warranty is in the name of the home owner. A/C stopped working in
the covered home. The temerature in the home reaches 90+ degrees
without the A/C working, making it uninhabitable. As a result,
tenant/renter was displaced and rented a hotel room. State law
provides recoverery of the cost of suitable housing at a rate of not
more than 25% above the periodic rate. The daily rate is $30, so
tenant's maximum allowance is $37.50 per day.

The AC breaks so you have to put them up elsewhere? What did people do in
the tens of thousands of years before Ac was invented or very expensive? I
recall living in a hot house in the 50's. No nanny government took us to an
air conditioned hotel.

That said, I doubt the warranty company has any liability unless specified
in the contract. Read the fine print.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks to those that provided a legitimate response to my post.

For those of you that think people can live without A/C in extremely
hot areas, what do you think about living in a house in the coldest
climates with no heat?

And sorry, but people did not live in the area where the house is 50
years ago in homes with no cooling. No A/C, certainly, but they had
evap cooling at the very least.

This brings up a different discussion altogether, but there can be no
doubt that development in certain areas is possible and only happens as
a result of modern technology. People in those areas then depend on
that technology to survive; e.g. heating or cooling of buildings and
homes.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

For those of you that think people can live without A/C in extremely
hot areas, what do you think about living in a house in the coldest
climates with no heat?

Can and has been done. Really, check it out.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

It is irrelevant to you whether homeowner has warranty or not. If you are
supposed to get ac, homeowner is liable to renter.

wrote in message
[...]

Home defects warranty Joseph Meehan Home Repair 3 July 7th 05 10:51 PM
Renewing Home Warranty? User Home Repair 16 March 14th 05 01:33 AM
Home Depot Scorns Christian Groups Ben Siders Woodworking 63 August 26th 04 02:52 PM
home appliance warranty CT Home Repair 9 April 1st 04 09:57 PM
New home warranty JTM Home Repair 13 July 21st 03 04:08 PM