Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht

Default Pins vs bolts for folding utility trailer

I finally got one of those Harbor Freight folding trailers. [on sale
this month; $229 for the 4x8 with 12" wheels]

I'm actually impressed with most of the design & it seems pretty
sturdy. [the castors might get replaced soon-- and I'm not sure
about the following]

When the trailer is flat it has 2 3/8x1" carraige bolts holding it
down to a piece of angle steel. To fold it you need to unbolt these
2 nylon lock-bolts- then re-attach them to hold the folded pieces
together to drop the tongue. It seems like a couple pins or
latches of some sort would save a trip to the tool box every time I
want to fold or unfold the trailer.

Am I missing something obvious? It doesn't appear that these bolts do
anything but keep the folded end from bouncing while in use. They
are designed to go through the vertical sides of the angle iron that
the rails rest on.

Has anyone already done this? What did they use?

Thanks-
Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
[...]

Obviously to keep the cost down, two bolts are cheaper than some sort of
latch. Feel free to upgrade if you think it would be better. Some HF
products are masterpieces in minimalist design.

Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

[...]

I've got the same trailer and it has served me very well. I haven't done
the mod you talk about as I have no room in the garage for it! It pretty
much stay's in it's open position all the time. A few things I have done
which have been useful is I built a cedar frame for sides and covered the
floor in ply. I put tie downs pretty much all over the place as well.
And I got one of their $9 trailer lift thing (goes on the tongue for raising
and lowering it. Works great to keep the tongue high enough to keep water
draining out. Anyway, I don't see why pins wouldn't work so good luck
with that.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rudy

When the trailer is flat it has 2 3/8x1" carraige bolts holding it
down to a piece of angle steel. To fold it you need to unbolt these
2 nylon lock-bolts- then re-attach them to hold the folded pieces
together to drop the tongue. It seems like a couple pins or
latches of some sort would save a trip to the tool box every time I
want to fold or unfold the trailer.

How about these ?

http://www.imperialinc.com/items.asp?item=0703560