Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht

Default Pins vs bolts for folding utility trailer

I finally got one of those Harbor Freight folding trailers. [on sale
this month; $229 for the 4x8 with 12" wheels]

I'm actually impressed with most of the design & it seems pretty
sturdy. [the castors might get replaced soon-- and I'm not sure
about the following]

When the trailer is flat it has 2 3/8x1" carraige bolts holding it
down to a piece of angle steel. To fold it you need to unbolt these
2 nylon lock-bolts- then re-attach them to hold the folded pieces
together to drop the tongue. It seems like a couple pins or
latches of some sort would save a trip to the tool box every time I
want to fold or unfold the trailer.

Am I missing something obvious? It doesn't appear that these bolts do
anything but keep the folded end from bouncing while in use. They
are designed to go through the vertical sides of the angle iron that
the rails rest on.

Has anyone already done this? What did they use?

Thanks-
Jim