Posted to alt.home.repair
ziggs

Default Anti siphon value leaking

I have a 1" Anti siphon value that I just installed and it's leaking
at the threads when the value is shut off. About 1 drop every 10
seconds..

1. When I put on the 1" adaptor, I did place one layer of teflon tape.
Is one layer okay?

2. I made it hand tight and then used a wrench to screw it in a few
turns. Is that bad?

3. When turning with the wrench, I didn't continue all the way and
probably could have made a few more turns with some effort. Should I
have tried to screw on tighter?

4. Is there a way to fix the leak without cutting off the value again
and start from scratch?

TIA
Posted to alt.home.repair
Rudy

... it's leaking
at the threads when the value is shut off. About 1 drop every 10
seconds..

1. When I put on the 1" adaptor, I did place one layer of teflon tape.
Is one layer okay?

I use about 4-5 wraps

2. I made it hand tight and then used a wrench to screw it in a few
turns. Is that bad?

Nope, but its leaking so it isn't 'good' either

3. When turning with the wrench, I didn't continue all the way and
probably could have made a few more turns with some effort. Should I
have tried to screw on tighter?

I suppose, you have to watch that you dont crack the valve if its plastic.

4. Is there a way to fix the leak without cutting off the value again
and start from scratch?

Nope. Nextime, you should use a union so you dont have to 'cut' it apart.

All the above said.. I did exactly the same thing when I put in my drip
system manifold last year.
Ended up with the slow drip. Took it apart (I left enough 3/4" PVC between
joints so I could cut and use a coupling if needed) and tightened it
up..drip stopped. BTW, I drained the system before winter but the spring
loaded anti-siphon valve kept held about 2" of water between the valve and
the pressure reducer. Over last Winter, that water froze and cracked the
plastic RainBird pressure reducer. When I charged the system a few weeks
back, there was a drip again. Removed the PR from the system (glad I put in
a union) and it works fine now.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

"ziggs" wrote in message
I have a 1" Anti siphon value that I just installed and it's leaking
at the threads when the value is shut off. About 1 drop every 10
seconds..

1. When I put on the 1" adaptor, I did place one layer of teflon tape.
Is one layer okay?

2. I made it hand tight and then used a wrench to screw it in a few
turns. Is that bad?

3. When turning with the wrench, I didn't continue all the way and
probably could have made a few more turns with some effort. Should I
have tried to screw on tighter?

4. Is there a way to fix the leak without cutting off the value again
and start from scratch?

TIA

5 to 7 wraps of Teflon clockwise, then rector seal pipe dope. As
mentioned a union would of been nice