Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Radon...what would you do?

z wrote:
Goedjn wrote:
On Mon, 22 May 2006 16:22:17 -0400, Keith Williams
wrote:

In article ,
" says...
On Sat, 20 May 2006 13:05:28 -0400, Keith wrote:

Where was it measured?

It was measured in the unfinished part of our basement. About 2/3 of
the basement is finished. My wife's office is there, and a rec room.
I did the test about 10 feet away from the sump.

It was measured back in April, with the house closed up, and all of us
out of town.

You should retest in the finished part of the basement, though
there may not be that much difference. At 6pC/l, I wouldn't
remeadiate[*] it unless I was going to sell in the next couple of
years. How many hors a day does your family spend in the basement?

If I were to do the remediation the fist thing I'd do is seal the
sump. That alone might get you under the wire. For my
installation (split-foyer raised ranch - no sump), the pump was
$400ish and the whole thing $1200 for about four hours work. I'd
do that myself knowing what I know now, though drilling a 5" hole
in the floor isn't my idea of fun.

DOn't just seal it, run a pair of pipes
into and out of the sump from the outside,
and drive air in one and out the other with
muffin fans.

I've been pondering how to seal the sump for a while now, but I
wouldn't try to drive air into/through it; you want to pull the air out
from under the slab, not just ventilate the sump. Plus it's easier to
seal if it's negative pressure. I would try some kind of big marine
bilge vent pump thing (or else whatever they use in the "real" radon
systems). Muffin fans are on the pussy side.

Oh, and definitely run it into a tall pvc pipe, higher than the chimney
from what I've seen. The worst thing would be to vent it from the sump
and have it flow into your sleeping quarters.

Anyone have experience with digital radon detectors? mtco Home Repair 0 April 8th 06 10:32 AM
Terminating a contract over Radon gxb101 Home Ownership 9 September 15th 05 08:18 PM
Radon information. PVR Home Repair 11 September 14th 05 12:56 PM
DANGER: RADON Yeung Fun Ho Home Repair 29 July 19th 05 02:01 AM
radon pump squealing Barbara White Home Repair 3 September 10th 04 10:15 PM