Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction

Default RadonSeal doesn't work for me...

I have a new house, it's now almost two years old. Last year I bought
RadonSeal to waterproof my basement. I applied a number of coats
carefully to all parts of the concrete floor and walls. Well, we had
some record rainfall this week here in Boston and I've had 3 inches of
water come into my basement every day. I can see timy bubbles coming
out of the concrete. Is it gases trapped in the concrete or some
chemical reaction?

Anyhow, I'd love to hear about a real sealant that works.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
Kyle Boatright

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a new house, it's now almost two years old. Last year I bought
RadonSeal to waterproof my basement. I applied a number of coats
carefully to all parts of the concrete floor and walls. Well, we had
some record rainfall this week here in Boston and I've had 3 inches of
water come into my basement every day. I can see timy bubbles coming
out of the concrete. Is it gases trapped in the concrete or some
chemical reaction?

Anyhow, I'd love to hear about a real sealant that works.

First, where is the water entering the basement? Have cracks formed since
you sealed?

I'm not familiar with that product, but my experience with water sealers is
that they won't leak if the layer of sealant isn't broken.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
buffalobill

perhaps the flooding has exceeded the capacity of a brush-on coating.
this is a new product to me, lots of info on their site.
http://www.radonseal.com/

basement stuff for you:
http://www.buildingscience.com/resources/basements.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
kevin

In your situation, it may be that there is no "real selant that works".
After all, if there were, then we could just use it to build
submarines, water mains, and pools out of balsa-wood covered with your
"real sealant".

The force of the water pushing through your concrete walls and floor
can reach incredible levels, and no amount of flimsy paint (especially
on the inside of the basement) is going to stop it.

Go read up about proper drainage.

-Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a new house, it's now almost two years old. Last year I bought
RadonSeal to waterproof my basement. I applied a number of coats
carefully to all parts of the concrete floor and walls. Well, we had
some record rainfall this week here in Boston and I've had 3 inches of
water come into my basement every day. I can see timy bubbles coming
out of the concrete. Is it gases trapped in the concrete or some
chemical reaction?

Anyhow, I'd love to hear about a real sealant that works.

No interior sealant is going to prevent the water that has been coming this
past week. It is at or near record levels. Basements that have never had
water in 20+ years are getting drenched. No type of paint will stop it.

I'm not familiar with the particular product you have, but it is merely a
coating. There is a lot of hydraulic pressure pushing it away from the
wall. In this situation, you need better drainage and something on the
exterior that will be pushed into the foundation, not away from it.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
Mike Robinson

Stop focusing on water proofing and focus on water preventing.
Proper drainage will stop the water, water sealers will not.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction

Amen to that. Been there, tried that, for a bit. Attack the source.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
Toller

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a new house, it's now almost two years old. Last year I bought
RadonSeal to waterproof my basement. I applied a number of coats
carefully to all parts of the concrete floor and walls. Well, we had
some record rainfall this week here in Boston and I've had 3 inches of
water come into my basement every day. I can see timy bubbles coming
out of the concrete. Is it gases trapped in the concrete or some
chemical reaction?

Anyhow, I'd love to hear about a real sealant that works.

If you could actually "seal" the water out, it would buckle your walls. Be
glad you have failed.
If this is a recurring problem, you need a sump pump.

Plagiarism Kirk Woodturning 118 March 9th 05 12:04 PM
How to find a good contractor? Alexander Galkin Home Repair 34 March 1st 05 05:06 PM
Electrical work - would inspector check previously done work? Himanshu Home Repair 4 January 23rd 05 07:04 PM
Moisture Cure Urethane (Moisture Cured Urethane) Moshe Woodworking 6 September 5th 03 05:50 PM
Garage Door Work question Rich Greenberg Home Ownership 0 August 6th 03 01:12 AM