Posted to alt.home.repair
Cliff Hartle

Default Replacing my concrete steps

I have a question on how to best replace my front steps, here is a picture.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeocrz3/s...res/stairs.jpg

I am planning on removing all the concrete up to the red lines, building the
form and pouring new concrete. My main question is if I should tie the steps
into the side walls or put in expansion joints to keep them separated?

To tie them in I would drill holes into the concrete on the sides and insert
rebar into the holes maybe anchored with same hydraulic cement. this rebar
would be anchored to some rebar that in would run through the steps.

One other question, the yellow line shows where I want to run some drainage
line down to the street for my downspouts. Can I just use the corrugated
black flex line for this?

thanks, Cliff

PS I still haven't figured out where I'm going to get the crete. I can't
see calling a truck for what I think is just a couple of yards. I have to
figure out how much I need and if I'm going to mix it myself and how.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ITS up to you but i would drill ties in the left as you look in the
picture.Also drill some to the
steps.Leave the expansion joint to the right.Make sure to drill every
second or third step.
THE small ammount of concrete required will be sorted out by a firm
called MINIMIX.
YELLOW PAGES should have at least a couple of entries,or try the WEB.
THE larger READYMIX DEPOTS now do HALF A METER UPWARDS,
Make sure the new poured concrete does not dry too quick,Throw water
over it about three
times the next day to prevent cracking.also make sure you use SOAP OIL
ON THE SHUTTER.
so as it doesnt stick.
GET A GOOD QUALITY EPOXY RESIN WIYH APPLICATOR FOR THE STEEL INTO THE
STEPS it is far less messy and dries in minuets and sets like
steel,allow 6inch depth on drill.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm having my steps and part of my porch replaced. Probably only take
2-3 yards. The guy doing it is a smalltime but very competent concrete
contractor and all he does is rip out the old, put the forms in, and
call the concerete truck. Mixing is, I believe, like making your own
ketchup - yeah you can do it, but there's not much point.

Good thought with the drain line.

Posted to alt.home.repair

TO MUCH BOTHER MATE.The days of the big DIESEL MIXER chugging away are
over
thankfully.If you are going to mix your own .The RATIOs of
sand/gravel/cement MUST BE
RIGHT,Or you can not TROWEL off propperly,DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR,get
readymix.