Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Steel or Vinyl Garage Door

I seek objective opinions: should I get steel or vinyl garage doors?

Several years ago I got a vinyl door for the attached garage. It has
performed flawlessly over that period despite the impact of various
missles. Now I have a new (detached) garage in need two doors. Being
quite pleased with the first door I returned to the same dealer. He no
longer carries vinyl doors, only Clopay - no reason given. I don't know
the manufacturer of the original door. I have only found two
manufacturers today, Everdoor and GADCO. In searching for them I have
run into a lot of negative energy from other dealers who do not carry
vinyl doors. They say things like the vinyl sections are delivered
warped or they discolor from UV exposure. (My original door is still
white though moss seems to like it.) I like vinyl for its durability
while it is, in general, more expensive. Anybody have any thoughts on
this? Is vinyl bad?

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

guessing: the answer may be found in your climate. or your dealer has
found a good supplier.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Temperatures are not extreme here in Pittsburgh. The humidity is not
bad. The old door is shaded. The new will see direct sunlight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

hey a fellow pittsburger. what companies have you checked? you might
call the accurate garage door company, I had them do some work for me
once and they were nice and affordable.

I was always under the impression vinyl doors had steel inside for
structural reasons.

what part of town are you in
?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I hale from the South Hills, just over the line in Washington County.
The companies on my list are Precision, Rowco, 84 Lumber, Costco,
Lowes, and Overhead - arbitrarily ordered. I should add Johnson Door
from little Washington. They did a great job on the first door and now
I'm reconsidering steel. But I think they only carry Clopay. I am not
too keen on Clopay having read some things here. Thanks for the tip on
Accurate.

I think you are right about the steel within the door. It also has
steel for hinges and brackets.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I am interested in this, having tired of painting my wood door. if i
get some time i will check a close by door company. I recently repaired
my door, some new pulleys etc. need new more energy efficent door and a
opener which i never had. although i use my garage for storage, never
had a car in there

i am in the n hills by northway mall

Posted to alt.home.repair

My wood door was literally rotting away at the bottom. It was replaced
by viny 6 years ago. The conditions have not changed, i.e. it's still a
wet area, but I no longer fear water. The steel bits at the bottom of
the door have a little a rust but the cables are fine.

Why do we call it a garage? It's really a storage area with a BIG door.

Posted to alt.home.repair

at home resale time its a garage till the new owners fill it with junk