Michael T

Default Garage door will not close when it rains

This garage door problem really has me stumped.

Fortunately here in Southern California it doesn't rain too often (except
for this year).

But when it does my garage door halts about half way down and then retracts
(i.e. opens).

I know this can be a symptom of a door sensor problem. But I just moved in
and the infrared sensors, which are usually on either side of the door near
the floor of the garage, cannot be located.

It is a Sears 3/4 HP Garage Door Opener (chain drive). Similar to the GDO at
http://www6.sears.ca/webapp/wcs/stor...ctId=158060864

But a bit older, although the GDO technician that came out several months
ago said he did not think it was too old (whatever that means). By the way
he was also surprised that we could not find the sensors in their 'usual'
place.

I lubricated all of the recommended places and even increased the
screwdriver adjustment for the door closing speed/pressure. Still no joy.

Any ideas?

As always, thank you for your time.

Michael

borgunit

Since you say it happens when it rains, I suspect moisture fouling up
electronics. You might try some Caig contact cleaner (Radio Shack) on
the controls (remote, wall, opener) and see if the issue goes away.

nospambob

Disconnect it and operate by hand and maybe the cause will become
apparent.

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 17:53:46 GMT, "Michael T"
wrote:

[...]

Michael T

I think you are on to something as when I cycled the power the partial
closure problem went away. I should add that sometimes it also will not
OPEN all the way. It stops 1-2 feet from the fully open position.

Lucky me - I have a closing problem and an opening problem!

By the way, it is a 1/3 HP - not a 3/4 HP as I stated in my previous post.
The fact that Sears has this model (139.663701) in a list titled "Model
numbers that are no longer Available" makes me wonder if it is older than I
thought. Anyway I sent e-mail to Sears to see what they recommend.
Unfortunately when I bought the residence the owner's manual was not
included.

Thanks to all that replied.

Michael

"borgunit" wrote in message
news:1d192$42713314$455da0d2$11566@allthenewsgroup s.com...
Since you say it happens when it rains, I suspect moisture fouling up
electronics. You might try some Caig contact cleaner (Radio Shack) on
the controls (remote, wall, opener) and see if the issue goes away.

M.Paul

Broken spring?

"Michael T" wrote in message
This garage door problem really has me stumped.

Fortunately here in Southern California it doesn't rain too often (except
for this year).

But when it does my garage door halts about half way down and then

retracts
(i.e. opens).

I know this can be a symptom of a door sensor problem. But I just moved in
and the infrared sensors, which are usually on either side of the door

near
the floor of the garage, cannot be located.

It is a Sears 3/4 HP Garage Door Opener (chain drive). Similar to the GDO

at

http://www6.sears.ca/webapp/wcs/stor...categoryId=106
86&catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&langId=-1&productId=158060864

But a bit older, although the GDO technician that came out several months
ago said he did not think it was too old (whatever that means). By the way
he was also surprised that we could not find the sensors in their 'usual'
place.

I lubricated all of the recommended places and even increased the
screwdriver adjustment for the door closing speed/pressure. Still no joy.

Any ideas?

As always, thank you for your time.

Michael

nospambob

EVERY surface on a door should be sealed to slow water migration. My
sisters doors get hard to close when humidity is high but my BIL is
too hobbled with arthritis to pull the hinge pins so the bottoms can
be sealed.

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 12:12:03 -0700, BananaRepublican
wrote:

In article m,
lid (borgunit) wrote:

Since you say it happens when it rains, I suspect moisture fouling up
electronics. You might try some Caig contact cleaner (Radio Shack) on
the controls (remote, wall, opener) and see if the issue goes away.

i've noticed my garage door gets heavier after a rain.
I saw on one door, that said paint both sides, I guess because they
warp , when they absorb moisture.
good luck.

g adds.
MONEY , what a concept