Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Steel or Vinyl Garage Door

I seek objective opinions: should I get steel or vinyl garage doors?

Several years ago I got a vinyl door for the attached garage. It has
performed flawlessly over that period despite the impact of various
missles. Now I have a new (detached) garage in need two doors. Being
quite pleased with the first door I returned to the same dealer. He no
longer carries vinyl doors, only Clopay - no reason given. I don't know
the manufacturer of the original door. I have only found two
manufacturers today, Everdoor and GADCO. In searching for them I have
run into a lot of negative energy from other dealers who do not carry
vinyl doors. They say things like the vinyl sections are delivered
warped or they discolor from UV exposure. (My original door is still
white though moss seems to like it.) I like vinyl for its durability
while it is, in general, more expensive. Anybody have any thoughts on
this? Is vinyl bad?