Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Second floor external staircase - mandatory?

Are the International building codes available online somewhere?

I'm in the process of building a 2-story 5-plex in Ocean Shores, WA
and the city says I have to place a staircase on the second floor
balcony ( I disagree). As I understand, you only need this second
egress on buildings 3 floors or taller. There is one internal
staircase from the 1st floor to the second floor.

Targus

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
the city says I have to place a staircase on the second floor
balcony ( I disagree).

Does not matter what you think or can show in IBC. The local inspector
wants a stairs, he will get a stair. The town has more money and lawyers
that you can imagine and you can be assured the inspector will be a real
PITA during construction. Save yourself a lot of grief and put it in. It
will be much cheaper than winning.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

In my city as in most, the applicable codes are at city hall and they will
let you look at and copy them while you are there (can't borrow). They
actually copied about 12 pages for me and explained it just for a question,
I wasn't even at the permit stage at that time.

"Joshua Putnam" wrote in message
.net...
In article , NOPSAMmm2005
@bigfoot.com says...
On 11 May 2006 15:25:50 -0700, wrote:

Are the International building codes available online somewhere?

International! I think you need the Ocean Shores building code!

Washington State has adopted IBC, what he needs is IBC plus any local
amendments.

The simplest solution is to tell the building official you would like
to make sure you are in compliance, can he please show the specific
code requirement. If it's there, he'll be able to show you. If it's
not, he might back down. Or maybe not, in which case you have to
decide whether you want to be a known PITA at the building department
or not.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh

Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

mm wrote:

Suspicious though. Is Washington considering seceding and joining
Canada? Maybe they don't like it when they say they're from
Washington and people think DC, so they're cutting their ties.

If so, there goes Boeing and Microsoft.