Posted to alt.home.repair
susan

Default GRANITE PROBLEM

We recently had a granite countertop installed - unfortunately the island
slab had a gouge and 2 scratches. I complained to the installer and they
have tried to repair these. The surface of their repair is smooth but I
can see the impressions below the surface where the repair was made - the
area is dipping & dented but covered by sealer. I complained again and
they said they will try to repair - but all I can see is the problem
growing in size as a larger indentation is made & then covered again by
sealer. Can anyone advise what can be done to solve this problem ???
They have told me they can no longer obtain the silver pearl granite they
have supplied and are unwilling to repair the whole top surface as they
claim this is too labor intensive. I would be grateful for any help.
Posted to alt.home.repair
JerryL

If it were me, I'd tell them to take the whole countertop and Island granite
out and refund your money. Did they charge you for damaged granite? You
paid for an undamaged and properly installed granite countertop and island
top. If they can't deliver, let them take it out, refund your money and shop
elsewhere. I'm sure they'll repair the island to you satisfaction rather
than remove the whole thing.

"susan" wrote in message
news:daa1d8f7f0fd4d0b07af31ef7ff0a387@homerepairli ve.com...
We recently had a granite countertop installed - unfortunately the island
slab had a gouge and 2 scratches. I complained to the installer and they
have tried to repair these. The surface of their repair is smooth but I
can see the impressions below the surface where the repair was made - the
area is dipping & dented but covered by sealer. I complained again and
they said they will try to repair - but all I can see is the problem
growing in size as a larger indentation is made & then covered again by
sealer. Can anyone advise what can be done to solve this problem ???
They have told me they can no longer obtain the silver pearl granite they
have supplied and are unwilling to repair the whole top surface as they
claim this is too labor intensive. I would be grateful for any help.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

To repair granite, your only option is to grind/feather out the defect and
then polish to match the surface texture. Since the process Always entails
removal of material, there will always be a dent when viewed at an angle so
the light hits it right.

All they can do is broaden the repair area but if you insist on coming back
and finding that worst angle to look at it, you will Always notice it.
Adding filler is not an option with Granite, it would have been with Corian
and maybe silestone [not sure about that].

Now if they removed too much material or did it unevenly trying to hide the
gouge, that's a different problem.

You didn't say how obvious it was but a compromise where they refund a small
charge or compensate you with other product would be better than forcing
them to rip out the entire job and start from scratch (they gotta make a
living too). Can you learn to live with it?

"susan" wrote in message
news:daa1d8f7f0fd4d0b07af31ef7ff0a387@homerepairli ve.com...
We recently had a granite countertop installed - unfortunately the island
slab had a gouge and 2 scratches. I complained to the installer and they
have tried to repair these. The surface of their repair is smooth but I
can see the impressions below the surface where the repair was made - the
area is dipping & dented but covered by sealer. I complained again and
they said they will try to repair - but all I can see is the problem
growing in size as a larger indentation is made & then covered again by
sealer. Can anyone advise what can be done to solve this problem ???
They have told me they can no longer obtain the silver pearl granite they
have supplied and are unwilling to repair the whole top surface as they
claim this is too labor intensive. I would be grateful for any help.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Richard J Kinch

susan writes:

Can anyone advise what can be done to solve this problem ?

Be businesslike. Don't pay. If you already paid, live with it. If they
don't replace it, have a lawyer write a nastygram. If not worth a lawyer,
then live with it. If they don't fix it after the nastygram, then have the
lawyer sue them. If not worth suing, live with it.

Do not pay contractors in advance.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Cheri

Richard J Kinch wrote in message ...

Be businesslike. Don't pay. If you already paid, live with it. If

they
don't replace it, have a lawyer write a nastygram. If not worth a

lawyer,
then live with it. If they don't fix it after the nastygram, then have

the
lawyer sue them. If not worth suing, live with it.

Do not pay contractors in advance.

I am so glad I found this newsgroup. I'm having a huge problem with a
grout man. He has not returned my calls in the past two days, so I
called the bank and put a stop on the check. It's not something I have
ever done in the past, but after my experience with the electrician,
I've had it. Thankfully, the check had not cleared already, and the bank
even waived the $20.00 stop payment fee. Now, I will probably hear from
him, and will be glad to repay when it's corrected, but I'm sorry that
people push to that point.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

How did the gouge get there installation or was it there? Did the Granite
supplier also do the install? When I did our kitchen I went with a supplier
that also contracted the installation, cuts out allot of buck passing. I
don't no what state your in, But I'm sure There's a state Contractors Board.
Check and see if the installer is Licensed. In Ca. you can only charge up
$499 for a job if you do not have a license. If they charge more you do not
have to pay them. If you used a credit card put a stop payment on it. Go to
the suppliers show room and make a stink. But in the long run it's best to
try and work out a deal without tempers flying. As for the gouge it's not
going to go anywhere.

"susan" wrote in message
news:daa1d8f7f0fd4d0b07af31ef7ff0a387@homerepairli ve.com...
We recently had a granite countertop installed - unfortunately the island
slab had a gouge and 2 scratches. I complained to the installer and they
have tried to repair these. The surface of their repair is smooth but I
can see the impressions below the surface where the repair was made - the
area is dipping & dented but covered by sealer. I complained again and
they said they will try to repair - but all I can see is the problem
growing in size as a larger indentation is made & then covered again by
sealer. Can anyone advise what can be done to solve this problem ???
They have told me they can no longer obtain the silver pearl granite they
have supplied and are unwilling to repair the whole top surface as they
claim this is too labor intensive. I would be grateful for any help.

Posted to alt.home.repair
susan

Thank you for all the responses.
The Granite supplier took the island away for the 3rd time to try &
repair.
I spoke with them yesterday & they have obtained more of the granite & will
supply a new top for the island - it's being delivered on Friday.
Hopefully this problem has been solved!!
Again THANK YOU Susan