Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Default damage from ethanol?

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message .. .
"Bob" wrote in
:

"WConner" wrote in message
news:kl79g.55$343.48@trnddc06...
"Get your head out of your republican butt and look at the real
world."

While there are things that Pres. Bush has been deeply disappointing
in, the alternatives are worse. I mean a "5" as Pres. is better than
a "0".

You've got to be kidding. Even long term republicans that I know think
he is the worst president the US has ever had.

Bob

No wonder,the way the Mainstream Media reports.(biased reporting)
Most poeple only hear one distorted side.

Kidding again? The mainstream media takes months to report most of the news on
Bush's crimes. The media is biased alright. But in the direction of the media's owners
desires, not the public's need to know.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Michael Daly

On 15-May-2006, Jim Yanik wrote:

and a few other minorities.

Catholics are a minority?

Mike
Posted to alt.home.repair
HarryS

Default COAL - Was: damage from ethanol?

As you can see below, this was a reply to a post in this thread. Oddly, the
post I replied to is no longer on the newsgroup.

No need to change the subject line...

"HarryS" wrote in message
There are problems with every fuel. I'm not pushing coal (even though
it is plentiful and not radioactive), only saying it is as related to
hydrogen as is nuclear.

AHH, but studies of the emissions from coal plants show clearly that the
amount of radiation vented to the atmosphere from coal plants EXCEEDS
normal annual radiation released from a nuclear plant!!!!

There is a very low level of radioactivity in coal. When you burn ALOT
of it, the radiation gets released. Thorium and uranium are present in
very nearly MINE ABLE quantities in the ash that gets trapped in the
waste pile.

http://www.ornl.gov/info/ornlreview/...t/colmain.html

Do you realize where much of that waste coal ash winds up? It's in most
of the concrete that you buy today. A high percentage of concrete mix
plants (ready mix plants) substitute coal ash (fly ash) for the cement in
the mix. The amount of substitution varies anywhere from 15% to 25%,
depending on where you are located in the U.S. This replacement of cement
in concrete was pushed by the EPA and, for many industries, this
substitution was required years ago. So, your highways, basement walls,
sidewalks, driveways, etc. contain fly ash. The fly ash doesn't always
provide any benefit to the concrete, but if the industries that were
mandated to use it couldn't show that it specifically harmed the concrete
in some way, they are required to use it.

It's also allowed for use as a soil amendment used to change the
compaction characteristics of soil used for fill.

Harry

Posted to alt.home.repair
MC

z wrote:
wrote:

No, sorry, but I haven't. This isn't a Republican vs Democrat issue.
What you have is environmental kooks who use every tactic available,
from lawsuits to lobbyists, to create fear, uncertainty, doubt. You
can find these kooks who are against anything to increase the supply of
energy. And they bring political pressure to bear on whoever is in
office. That, combined with the NIMBY syndrome, is what leads
politicians of both parties to ignore increasing the supply of energy.

Are you volunteering to take your fair share of the accumulated high
level nuclear waste and stash it around your house?

uranium occurs naturally and is radioactive. What about putting it back
in the ground very deep in abandoned salt mines and other locations,
like underground test sites that are already radioactive? Even putting
it back in the places where we dig up the uranium ore. I know that the
spent fuel in quantity is more radioactive, since is concentrated, but
we can build very good sealed containers, and smaller amounts per
container to make it safer.

I just feel that can be made safe to produce the energy and there has to
be options for safely containing and disposing the waste. I do think we
need more for the next couple of decades until we can get more other
alternative energyy sources developed also. However I do feel we need
better controls before we attempt to build more sites. There are many
sites in use today around the globe and only a few incidents, not a bad
safely record considering the number in operation.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

"Bob" wrote in message
No wonder,the way the Mainstream Media reports.(biased reporting)
Most poeple only hear one distorted side.

Kidding again? The mainstream media takes months to report most of the news on
Bush's crimes. The media is biased alright. But in the direction of the media's owners
desires, not the public's need to know.

Take the Bush speach yesterday for instance. How many networks broadcast it? Several.
And how many broadcast the Democratic party response by Senator Reid? One. Still think
the networks are biased against Bush? The networks make no pretense of balanced
coverage, and they haven't for years.

Bob