Posted to alt.home.repair
mhaighirtis

Default Installing a GFCI switch

To whom it may concern,

I am attempting to install a GFCI switch in the bathroom. I have
two black wires, one which is a line wire and the other is a load wire,
both have white wires, plus I have a red wire coming out of the line
cable and I have two switch wires on the switch.

I am having difficulty wiring this switch and can not get it to
work properly and when I wire the switch I lose power in the next room.
Could you please tell me what I shoutl do with all the wires plus the
red wire. Where should the red wire be hooked up to.

All positive consideration will be appreciated.

thank you

Dick Masterson

Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

"mhaighirtis" wrote in message
oups.com...
To whom it may concern,

I am attempting to install a GFCI switch in the bathroom. I have
two black wires, one which is a line wire and the other is a load wire,
both have white wires, plus I have a red wire coming out of the line
cable and I have two switch wires on the switch.

I am having difficulty wiring this switch and can not get it to
work properly and when I wire the switch I lose power in the next room.
Could you please tell me what I shoutl do with all the wires plus the
red wire. Where should the red wire be hooked up to.

I sincerely hope you made notes on how the old switch was wired. I actually
take digital photos of complicated things before I disassemble them "just in
case".

Without that you will have to take voltage readings off the wires with the
switches in various positions and try to reconstruct how it works.

This is a combination switch-GFCI outlet you are talking about?

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

http://www.codecheck.com/gfci_principal.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Give a better description of your situation. You have an existing switch and
GFCI outlet you are trying to replace? Or is it a faceless GFCI switch? It
sounds like you have a switch, which should be straight forward, then a GFCI
outlet with "line" wires" and "load wires", which you have to be sure you
get wired correctly on the outlet, then you have power going out to the next
room, which should most likely go onto the line side of your switch

"mhaighirtis" wrote in message
oups.com...
To whom it may concern,

I am attempting to install a GFCI switch in the bathroom. I have
two black wires, one which is a line wire and the other is a load wire,
both have white wires, plus I have a red wire coming out of the line
cable and I have two switch wires on the switch.

I am having difficulty wiring this switch and can not get it to
work properly and when I wire the switch I lose power in the next room.
Could you please tell me what I shoutl do with all the wires plus the
red wire. Where should the red wire be hooked up to.

All positive consideration will be appreciated.

thank you

Dick Masterson

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

Be very careful with what you are doing. Read this thread about
circuits with a red and a black on the 'line' side of a circuit.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...3831c3cccdeff6