Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to install kitchen cabinet toekick?

I have matching toekick for my new kitchen cabinets (Kraftmaid, if that
makes a difference). Basically, it's a thin (less than 1/4") strip of
MDF with finish on the front side. What is the proper way to install
it? Glue? Nails? Something else?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Darrell Dorsey

I have Kraftmaid cabinets and when they were installed the guy used 16 ga.
finish nails. Then filled the holes (at least some of them with some wax
filler). I had to go back and touch up some.

Since we kept the existing vinyl floor, I needed to stain some cherry
quarter round and install it myself. Again, I used a 16 ga. finish nailer.
You might consider using some of the trowelable adhesive that you use for
the rubber toekicks. But if you use an adhesive I'd make sure it thin,
since the to kick material is thin. I think that stuff was around 1/8" to
3/16". But as you say much less than 1/4".

Bottom line, everything seems to be holding well.

Darrell
wrote in message
oups.com...
I have matching toekick for my new kitchen cabinets (Kraftmaid, if that
makes a difference). Basically, it's a thin (less than 1/4") strip of
MDF with finish on the front side. What is the proper way to install
it? Glue? Nails? Something else?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Cliff Hartle

I have installed many feet of toe kick.

A 18 g brad nailer works better than a 16 g. The nails are thinner.

You have to get the depth and the pressure just right so you don't blow
through the kick.

oups.com...