Posted to alt.home.repair
mcred2

Default flooring problems

I have to replace some flooring in a bathroom and bedroom because of
small leak in the wall. Floor joists are fine. I plan to use 1/2 "
plywood for subfloor but not sure about floor. The bedroom old floor
was particle board and the bathroom was 3/4 inch plywood. I will be
putting sheet vinyl on the bathroom floor. I went to home depot and
they did not have particle board and said that they now stock OSB
instead. It looks like thick chip or wafer board to me. One side
smooth and edges are tongue and groove. Will this work in both places.
I also intend to install an access panel to the plumbing where the
leak that started this project began. I am an amature but have to do
it myself. Any help will be appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

mcred2 wrote:
I have to replace some flooring in a bathroom and bedroom because of
small leak in the wall. Floor joists are fine. I plan to use 1/2 "
plywood for subfloor but not sure about floor. The bedroom old floor
was particle board and the bathroom was 3/4 inch plywood. I will be
putting sheet vinyl on the bathroom floor. I went to home depot and
they did not have particle board and said that they now stock OSB
instead. It looks like thick chip or wafer board to me. One side
smooth and edges are tongue and groove. Will this work in both places.
I also intend to install an access panel to the plumbing where the
leak that started this project began. I am an amature but have to do
it myself. Any help will be appreciated.

Hi,
OSB is widely used now.
Posted to alt.home.repair
marson

both particle board and OSB really ought to be avoided in wet
situations as they do not hold up to water well. i'd recommend 3/4"
plywood in the bathroom. OSB would be fine in the bedroom.

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Grabowski

I have to replace some flooring in a bathroom and bedroom because of
small leak in the wall. Floor joists are fine. I plan to use 1/2 "
plywood for subfloor but not sure about floor. The bedroom old floor
was particle board and the bathroom was 3/4 inch plywood. I will be
putting sheet vinyl on the bathroom floor. I went to home depot and
they did not have particle board and said that they now stock OSB
instead. It looks like thick chip or wafer board to me. One side
smooth and edges are tongue and groove. Will this work in both places.
I also intend to install an access panel to the plumbing where the
leak that started this project began. I am an amature but have to do
it myself. Any help will be appreciated.

"marson" wrote in message
oups.com...
both particle board and OSB really ought to be avoided in wet
situations as they do not hold up to water well. i'd recommend 3/4"
plywood in the bathroom. OSB would be fine in the bedroom.

I agree and to take it a step further I would use exterior glue plywood in
the bathroom and paint the entire sheet (Both sides and edges) with exterior
primer.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

marson wrote:
both particle board and OSB really ought to be avoided in wet
situations as they do not hold up to water well. i'd recommend 3/4"
plywood in the bathroom. OSB would be fine in the bedroom.

Let me agree with that.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
No

mcred2 wrote:
I have to replace some flooring in a bathroom and bedroom because of
small leak in the wall. Floor joists are fine. I plan to use 1/2 "
plywood for subfloor but not sure about floor. The bedroom old floor
was particle board and the bathroom was 3/4 inch plywood. I will be
putting sheet vinyl on the bathroom floor. I went to home depot and
they did not have particle board and said that they now stock OSB
instead. It looks like thick chip or wafer board to me. One side
smooth and edges are tongue and groove. Will this work in both places.
I also intend to install an access panel to the plumbing where the
leak that started this project began. I am an amature but have to do
it myself. Any help will be appreciated.

OSB, particle boards, wafer board and similar products act like a sponge
if they get wet. Use plywood. Try the blue store of the orange store
doesn't have it or try a lumberyard.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
. ..
marson wrote:
both particle board and OSB really ought to be avoided in wet
situations as they do not hold up to water well. i'd recommend 3/4"
plywood in the bathroom. OSB would be fine in the bedroom.

Let me agree with that.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Just in case you missed the first two posts,

Let me say I agree with them both.

Colbyt