Posted to alt.home.repair
david

Default shower tile crack too wide for grout

I have a shower to grout, with a crack that is too wide. About a
quarter inch. It's a vertical corner, photos he

http://members.dslextreme.com/~dmorgan1/shower/

Should I fill this with something, then grout it? What should I fill
it with?
Posted to alt.home.repair
tom

Just caulk it. Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair
Abe

I have a shower to grout, with a crack that is too wide. About a
quarter inch. It's a vertical corner, photos he
http://members.dslextreme.com/~dmorgan1/shower/
Should I fill this with something, then grout it? What should I fill
it with?

It doesn't look too wide for grout to me. Just fill it well.
Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

david wrote:
I have a shower to grout, with a crack that is too wide. About a
quarter inch. It's a vertical corner, photos he

http://members.dslextreme.com/~dmorgan1/shower/

Should I fill this with something, then grout it? What should I fill
it with?

It's good practice to use a color matched caulk, preferably
mildew-resistant silicone, to fill joints at changes in surface planes
- ie, walls to floors, wall to intersecting wall, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair
thetiler

My guess is that this crack opened up over a long period
of time and probably isn't moving much any more, if at all.

Pack it with sanded grout, using a rubber grout float.
Push the grout in hard until it won't squish in any more.
Later, if you notice a hairline crack in your repair,
indicating continued movement, you could caulk over
it.

thetiler

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just what I was going to recommend too.

Sanded grout is made for wide gaps, just what you have there.

I would say put that in and make it flush. Let it dry and
put a bead of caulk on it to seal it up (and look better)

Tom

Uneven Tile [email protected] Home Repair 7 April 22nd 06 05:48 PM
Fiberglass shower tub with hair line crack Pete Home Repair 8 February 25th 06 01:25 AM
How to save tile when breaking shower wall? Cindy Home Repair 9 August 7th 04 01:25 AM
Florida Tile LD Home Repair 16 March 2nd 04 11:52 PM
Holes in tile from Shower Curtain - What to do? Gary Dyrkacz Home Ownership 2 February 21st 04 12:56 AM